Possibly starting my own business...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, i was in need of a job. So i was talking to a friend, who came across a painting job. Well, I ended up hooking up with the lady running the show, and told her what I was capable of. I have been doing contracting type stuff for as long as I was old enough to swing a hammer. So, basically I have been bidding some stuff, getting some jobs, and doing some paperwork stuff around it.

She has wanted to start a business for a while now, and she wants me to be #2 in command for this thing. After working at crap places like pizza delivery and other such stuff, this is looking really good.

What I am looking for is some advice on how to get this whole show going. I will be needing some computer software to keep track of billing, bidding, workorders, and everything else. Also, if anyone has any advice for the legal stuff to get this off the ground, too, it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. Thats the best way to get into the "in" crowd, hooking up with the lady running the show. :D

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I didn;t quite mean it like that...

Anyways, I wanted 2006 to be the year that I get my life going somewhere. I'm 21, and I need to do something with my life. I might use this as an opportunity fund going back to college as well.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    So, If you so the work and the bidding and the accounting, what does she do?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    She spends the money. :D

-Mike

6. Wow Trev, that pretty cool! I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor. You'll do great, you can't help yourself.

Mon

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    She's a painter. And she's going to be fronting most of the startup money. I am the guy with the skills, and the ambition she is looking for. Also, I know computers, so I can keep track of our stuff.

8. The best idea would be to talk to your local commerce board, or whatever it is that you guys have. They will give you all of the legal hoo-ha that you have to do, and there is tons of software out there set up for helping a new business out. If I remember correctly, they have even been advertising some of it on TV,so just watch for the commercials.

Rock on
    Eric

9. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Don't forget to look into covering your butt in case you mess up on the job. :(

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Do you have a customer base esablished? If not there is a lot of sales involved you can't just sit by the phone.
    Do you have a good relationship w/ a supplier? There's alway better pricing out there.
    You may be able to handle the books day to day, but an accountant comes in real handy when you get audited and you will.
    Ready to deal w/ emplyoees? Hiring is fun, fireing gives me a 3 day anxiety attack.
    There's bonds, vaious licences ( contractors license will get you a lot more work).
    Workmans Comp Insurance, Liability Insurance.
    Homeowners are real fun to work with.
    Collections, other people don't seem to care when your bills are due.
    That's just some of it. I've done it in Wholesale building materials.

That said, it's very rewarding to have your own business. The sense of independance is great. I really makes you feel good about yourself, but don't kid yourself, it's hard work and a lot of worries you don't leave behind when you go home. The fist year is really hard. 90% of new businesses fail in the first year. But I beat that 3 times. I'm no longer w/ my last one but they are still going strong today after 11 years so YOU CAN DO IT. It's just not a walk in the park at first.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Customer base is pretty good around here. My business partner has done this with painting before, so she is somewhat familiar with the territory. We are going to be working with some local building materials suppliers for our materials, too. As far as employees is concerned, we are basically going to be running everyone on a subcontractor basis, which will help with tax figuring. I am looking into a general remodel contracting type business, so I need to find the illinois licensing information on that. I know that this is a worthy cause, and I am willing to do what it takes to get myself off of the corporate ladder that generally has most people on the bottom rung. There is also a cirriculum for contracting at the local community college, which I might also look into eventually.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh boy. I've been a sub, and I've hired subs. Watch out for the flakes. Just like the sandwich, a good sub is hard to find. :D

-Mike

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I hear that. With the crew we have right now, we have most of what we need. A lot of the hard stuff, (like elctrical, drywall, and other such stuff) is mostly going to fall on my shoulders. The other people will be picking up a lot of stuff as we go along. I am hoping to be able to get someone else with the skills I have eventually, but that is a while down the road. Basically this will be a small few-man operation for now.

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It wasn't my intention to be negative, too many people screw up by not looking before they leap. They seem to think being the boss is easy. You just sit around and tell people what to do right?:rollno:
    Sounds like you have a handle on things.
    I was 26 when I ran a business for an absentee owner, I have a deep voice, so It was a lot of fun seeing the look on people faces that had been doning business with me over the phone when they first saw me. Everyone assumed because of my voice I was a 40 year old man.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah. I definitely don't have that "Being the boss is easy" mentality. Not when I am creating a business. I need to see what kind of licensing I am going to need, and whether it is going to be at a county level or a city level. Also, there will be considerations as far as what we are allowed to do within a non-licensed situation.