1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possibly stupid rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phe, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I recently purchased a Traynor TS-50 amp (note: without B, so guitar amp).
    I'm thinking about hooking it up via line out to t.amp S150. It gives 250W in bridged mode. So far so good?

Because the amp is (probably) not going to give me enough bass, so I'm thinking (this is very it gets possibly stupid and you guys step in) using a small mixer and running another signal from my effects (LS-2) to passive DI to mixer. I there mix it to appropriate and send it to the power amp. It's a stereo amp, but in bridged mode I can only use one channel.

Does this make sense?

Other (possibly more sane) option is just bi-amping and hooking the TS-50 to more appropriate bass cabinet.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Speakers are the key here. Either amp should sound fine hooked up to a proper bass cab. Neither will sound fine hooked up to a guitar cab/speaker for long at much volume. The amps will be safe.. The guitar speaker will not.

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    You want to hook up a Guitar amp with a power amp and use the LS-2 to add a dry signal to your amps pre?
    That sounds like a lot of hassle for a result that might sound mediocre.
    Either the amp sounds good, then use it or it does not sound good, then don't.

4. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Sure, all of it is bit of a hassle. I'm adding the dry signal to the power amp via mixer. This probably won't work like I'm hoping it would AND I probably can't be bothered to take this show on the road. But for experimentation and possibly recording.

If I was smart (and had money) I would buy Tronographic Rusty Box. Same thing, but in a pedal form.
    Unfortunately I'm not smart.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Even for a guitar amp, the line out should be pretty much full-range. The signal to your power amp will probably be fine.

Phe likes this.