1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possibly to get a bass sound that has an Egypt/Arab feel to it or

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, May 11, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    anyone know if its possible to get a egypt tone or atleast a tone that would fit well with Egypt style music on a bass??? Anyone got some ideas? Crazy or not:) Ive become very interested in Egypt themed Metal

2. Hmmm... I THINK I know what you mean by Egypt/Arab style metal... I'd say lower your action to get some clank, raise treble a lot and raise mids by a hair, and raise bass a little bit (raise it more than the mids). Hope this helps.

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thank you, ill experiment with it;D

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    It's all about the scales. I think harmonic minor is the most "middle-eastern/egyptian" sounding one to me. Also, I'd go low action, but play up on the neck and maybe get an octaver for a real dub-like sound.

Check out Gogol Bordello. It's Gypsy Punk, which is not that similar to what you're doing, but the bass has an interesting dub "voice" and style over the rest of the band which is mostly ethnic and might give you an idea.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Also, if i lower the action to get clanking, wont i get fret buzz?

6. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Also, that clanking in Powerslave, is that about what ill get? Cos that sounds cool.

7. Yeah, you'll kinda get that Steve Harris sound,

Swimming bird, hes taking about sound, as in the sound that comes out of his amp.

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    If you like computer games,play Prince Of Persia:Warrior Within. I hated the game first but that arabic/egyptian music...Amazing stuff and all written by the bassist from The Tea Party,Stuart Chatwood.
    I found the O.S.T. and still listening to it although its been more than a year I finished the game!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's it in a nutshell. Learn some scales or modes common to that music. Also check out oud music. Although ouds are tuned in fifths, you put some of that vibe in your bass playing.

10. Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned....check out the song "Killing an Arab" by the Cure.

PC disclaimer, the title and content is (i believed) derived from some piece of litterature, so that makes it totally ok an not offensive, like it would be if it was just from a song.

11. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Yes it's about the scales. Although most arabic melodies use quarter notes, you can simulate them enough with fretted instruments to give the mood.

For musical insight, you may want to check orphaned land and tea party. Or some master oud players like, Dhafer Youssef, Anouar Braham, Rabih Abou Khalil and so on.

Good luck.

edit: oh, and also the rhythm section has a lot to do with the sound. You may want to get a basic 9/8 percussion playing to base the groove on.

12. People, I think hes talking about his sound, not his playing, please correct me if I'm wrong.

+1 on listening to Orphaned Land.

lol its funny talking about this cuz Im an Arab =P.

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yep, the sound=) But anything is helpful really, and im half arab^^ tho i look more swedish and i cant talk the language:/

14. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I've thought a while before replying. I guess there is not set tone for this. Or any other genre. You should set it yourself. One important issue is the tone of the rest of the band. Keep the overlapping tones minimum.

I personally would go for a deep treble-less bass sound with precision bass.

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    How about slapping? I think theres some egyptian vibe to that if played right and not funking it too much.

16. Other than scales, try sliding from one note to the next... I'll attach a video to demonstrate later... off to work now.

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Cool, thanks^^

18. check out jonas hellborg. fretless acoustics work well

19. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Can i listen to him on any site?

20. flatwoundfender