1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possibly upgrading my amp - Fender Rumble 40 (V3) vs Gallien Krueger MB108

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by y0ji, Jul 9, 2018.

1. y0ji

y0ji

Jun 30, 2018
    I currently have a Fender Rumble 25 (V3), and use it for practice with my Deluxe Precision Bass "Special".

I got the Rumble 25 at a really good price ($140 CAD / ~$107 USD) , but I am thinking I should upgrade the amp to slightly better option, at least compared to the bass I am playing.

Am I correct in thinking this? Keep in mind, the amp is going to be used for practice 95% of the time.

For options in the next price bracket (under $300 CAD / ~$228 USD) I think the Fender Rumber 40 and the Gallien Krueger MB 108 are good options.

The main criteria for me are tone and weight (since I have to take it to band practice, lighter weight would be great). The weight on the Fender Rumble 40 and the GK MB108 are both really light at 18lbs and 17lbs respectively. Price is the same as well at $269 CAD / $206 USD.

So I guess it's really a matter of me playing on both and deciding for myself. But I would really appreciate some input on this matter as a whole. If I am on the right track, in terms of wanting to upgrade the amp, and if so, to upgrade to either of these two.

2. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The GK is on par with the Rumble 25 you already own, so it is just a sideways trade off. The Rumble 40 is a serious up grade in wattage and woofer. The front end is seriously better with an excellent four band active EQ, and you also get a very good built in overdrive. Louder than any other combo in it's class. Hearty & Reliable.

rllefebv likes this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Why not rumble 100 v3?

Or Vox vx50BA. This 50 watts combo come with Korg nutube inside.

Plucky The Bassist and rllefebv like this.
  4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Can’t argue with either post above, nor your own logic of try each. The GK sound in general doesn’t do it for me, but hey, far better players than myself swear by them.

For myself, the Rumble 40 was a good purchase (already had a Rumble 200 head that I liked) for practice and portability. A well documented speaker/port mod put it squarely into the “wine-bar-coffeehouse” gig realm, and it has easily paid for itself. It was totally fine stock, seriously better modded, (lighter as well)!

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either based on what I’ve read. It basically comes down to your personal preference.

Happy Amp Shopping!

-robert

5. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Obviously, anything written here in this thread is opinion based on experience and sentiment. That being said, I've owned the GK combo you're considering and currently own a Rumble 100. Like my amp, comparing the 25 to the 40 is apples and oranges, mainly because of the driver difference and larger cabinet.

Linnin is correct stating that the 25 to 108 swap is a lateral move, and sound-wise, I'd agree. They're not identical, but an 8" speaker in a small cabinet with similar power isn't going to net much difference. Feature-wise too.

Since you already own a Rumble and I'm guessing like the tone, the 40 would be a logical step up. However, in this price range there is a large number of combos out there you could look at. The Ampeg BA110 v2 is one such amp I'd say give a listen to.

Enjoy the journey. When you find the one, come on over to the Combo Club and become a valued member. Actually, you might want to stop by now in case you're in need of a few more ideas and opinions. It's a great group of combo owners.

rllefebv likes this.
  6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    +1 to everything @iagtrplyr says! Didn't comment on Ampeg because the OP asked after two specific models, but the BA110 is a solid contender as well... I have a BA 112 v1 that I basically donated to my old band for the rehearsal room. Plenty of oomph and tone for getting loud enough (with sane band mates). Bought it used locally from a fellow TBer and it served me well when I was in that group... heavy-ish though...

As above, if used is an option, there's a nice Peavey Max 110 in the classifieds that seems a good deal. I played through a Max 112 several times at a local jam and it was a beast... Not necessarily my favorite tone with the host players default settings, but plenty of options to tweak. I just hate messing with another guys settings. Same observation though... a bit of a lift, since weight was mentioned as well. Dunno about the heft of the 110, but shoot the seller a question if it peaks your interest...

-robert

iagtrplyr likes this.
  7. y0ji

y0ji

Jun 30, 2018
    Mainly because the 100 v3 is outside of my budget, plus I'm not sure if it's necessary as a practice amp.

Hm I'll have to try the Vox, not sure how it compares to the Rumble 40, which I am starting to lean towards after the feedback on this thread

iagtrplyr likes this.
  8. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    The 100 may be outside your budget, but it is more versatile in the long run. I suggest waiting and saving your loonies to buy a 100 v3. It's light enough to bring to rehearsals and loud enough for small gigs. Plus u have the 25 to practice with.

9. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Such Sound Logic!^^^

10. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    R40v3, adds line out (xlr) r100 adds effects in and out. The OP did not say whether he uses effects.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It sounds like you prefer the Fender Rumble stuff, so I'd also suggest going for the 100 v3. 12" speaker as opposed to the 10" and 150% more wattage is also a nice thing to have in the chamber. It's loud enough to cut it on most small to medium gigs on its own, so even if there is house PA support, you can make sure the front row is getting some good tone from your rig :thumbsup:

iagtrplyr likes this.
  12. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I'm very curious about the VX50BA, but the 8'' driver says to me it may struggle in a friendly jam. The 40's larger speaker would compensate for that. I haven't gotten the chance to play through it though, so I may be mistaken. The 40 v3's 10' speaker would do a better job with moving air.

Trust the old iagtrplyr, I guarantee to you that the 100 v3 works for low-level bedroom practice. In fact, it's sitting here to my left ready to go to work while the wife is 15 feet away watching TV. I'd never endanger my own existence with something that I couldn't control how much volume comes out of it! Definitely take a look at it, or just keep your 25 v3 for noodling. It's a win-win situation.

13. y0ji

y0ji

Jun 30, 2018
    Another big aspect is that I have to always carry the amp for practices - hence the leaning towards 40 - I should have mentioned that before. The 100 sounds great. I'm gonna have to play the Vox and the Rumbles again soon to help make my decision, will report back.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  14. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Final time to bother you before you venture off to discover your amp. Check the specs before you decide: Rumble 100 = 22 lbs, and the 40 = 18 lbs, according to the Fender website. The difference between the 10" and the 12" though is worth the cost difference, IMHO. Now I'll throw this one at ya...if you can afford a little more, say $350, you could go for the Rumble Studio 40, which is basically the 40 you're looking at plus a whole gob of modeling goodies to boot, in case that trips your trigger. Otherwise, the stock amps are very nice, as you'd know from your 25. Good hunting!

15. y0ji

y0ji

Jun 30, 2018
    I totally appreciate the "bother" :)

iagtrplyr likes this.
  16. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    In case you're still considering between the 40 and 100.....I went to Guitar Center to buy the 40...played it...it sounded "OK". There was a 100 right next to it...so I played IT and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. It's only 4 lbs heavier...and sounds SO much deeper and defined due to the extra 60 watts and the EMINENCE 12". The 40 uses the 10" Fender Special Design which many reviewers have described as the weak component. I bought the 100 and it sounds fabulous in driving South Florida Big Bands. It sounds terrific soft in our Condo, also. I've gotten a great sound outdoors used as a monitor along with it being plugged into the PA.