possibly upgrading my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clanner, Aug 23, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I have recently been offered a position in a band that's sponsored by a music store in the area and I have the oppurtunity to upgrade my fender rumble 100 to a new amp at a discount. I'd like something that can get clarity of tone aswell as the boom I can get by simply pressing a button on my fender,

thank you for reading this.
  2. I have never been a fan of Fender bass amps. For guitar, their older tube amps are incredible. Give a list of bass amp lines the store carries and I'm sure somebody will chime in with suggestions. Also what style of music will you be playing?
  3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    this store can order just about anything so that's not an issue. as far as styles of music, mostly rock, the band is a grunge metal band and I may be playing some jazz and church music ranging from hymns to stryper.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well budget is an issue for sure, as is how loud you want/need to be.

read this thread

i'd look at getting something that would put out 200-400 wattsor more intothe cabinet(s) you're going to be using in order to not outgrow it too quickly. I'd also suggest using at least a 2x10 or 1x15 for a cab, and probably sticking with an 8 ohm cabinet as that way you can always add a second 8 ohm cab in the future. (most amp heads only power a minimum of 4 ohms which means you can only use one 8 ohm cab, one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs (total 4 ohm impedance)).

as far as what to get, try as many things as you can to see what you like. we all have our favoirite brands, but that doesnt mean a hill of beans as one man's trash is another man's treasure.