Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post Chicago GTG thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Well thank you everyone who came. I belive this GTG was a huge success!! We had a great turnout. And how about Bill and Jauqo?? Those cats jammed!!! Ernie Adams gave some great advice. I wish I got it all on video. There was alot of good info from both cats. So this thread is for discusion. What did/didn't you like about the GTG. Suggestions for the next GTG. And of course post you pics. And when you guys see the group pic. Yes thats right we had a girl bassist there too. Can't beat that. I know her man has to be a lucky guy!!!!

2. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I dug their talks and the insight they gave into the biz and about jamming. Everyone was gracious and open about sharing their gear. Sure volumes got out of hand at time (glaring at Clements ;) ) but it was a cool experience. Damn that guy rips! Has more chops in one hand than most with two!

Special thanks to Vic for the oppurtunity to rip on his fine axes... MMMmmmm MTD :) (I'm seriously looking into trying a set of black beauties on my cirrus) And to Jauqo for the chance to pluck a bit on his mighty Adler, that action was sick (read: odd to play for a hard hitting fat fingered goon like me) but cool none the less. And of course to Mark who put up with all our greasy fingers all over his stock of gear and ear splitting low end that literally had the ceiling falling apart. Cool guy and great little store.

So where are the pics? I left my cam in the truck :(

3. I was hoping to get the pics up tonight. But the camera i bowrrowed didnt have the USB cable in it. So it wont be till tomarrow evening. I didn't get a chance to try the MTD. I wanted to, but i was stuck on the Elrick.

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Hate to say it, the Elrick was alright, but no comparison.

5. Fair enough. I didn't dig the tone of the MTD with the black strings. To much in the highs. But I noticed that about other MTDs. For example Andrew Gouche's MTD. But it's all a matter of taste. Before the GTG started I played the Elrick 5 through the big Aguilar cab and head. But I had it set to my taste. I thought it sounded amazing. It was also played through the Eden and the Ashdown. But those amps were set diffrent as well. So each one gave it a diffrent sound of course. Like i said it's all a matter of taste.

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I had to duck out the back during the clinic - my wife called and my little girl was nursing a pretty nasty fever. I felt bad leaving her there on her own with the kids.

Thanks Joe for putting on a nice event and it was nice meeting you guys. Sorry I couldn't hang for the whole thing.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had a really good time. Hearing those more seasoned players make my bass sound as good as they did made me kind of depressed however. It doesn't sound like that when I play it. :eyebrow:

Be sure to post pics of paintnsk8t's (I know I misspelled that) EUB. That thing was sweet! And he made it!

And now that I know how nice Laklands and Skylines are, I _really_ want one.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I had a great time,everyone was kool and it was a blast.I would also like to give mad thanks to Joe for putting on a great event and inviting me and allowing me to participate in such a positive setting and to mark at the bass club. for hosting us all.

9. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

It was great to meet all of you and hang out yesterday. I agree with Troll about the volumes...I had a nice little headache going when Vic and I headed out.

All in all though, it was a great time and it's nice to know the faces behind the usernames. Jauqo, it was an absolute blast to watch you go to town with Ernie and to hear his side of things as well.

I think that's about what I wanted to cover...everyone enjoy your week.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks Josh,I have to say that Vics MTD blew me away,it was the most hi-fi sounding Bass that I have heard and played in a very long time.

11. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

yea...when we got back to Vic's place, I should have gone home and went to bed, but instead, I played the Zon's and that MTD...it's a beautiful and very good sounding bass.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

:)

13. Here are some photos from the GTG. I wanted to get pics of your guys gear. But I was having problems with my camera. Especially Paintandsk8s EUB he made!

Jauqo did a great job as a clinician

Attached Files:

14. Ernie gave some great advice. Well for a drummer :cool:

Attached Files:

15. Bill was amazing

Attached Files:

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just in case anyone was curious.

17. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    My thoughts on the GTG:

Got there late because of my flag football playoffs and the traffic.

Enjoyed meeting all of you guys and playing on your basses. Paintnsk8t's EUB was very nice. Vic I want to personally thank you for exposing me to the perfection known as MTD. Even though everyone was playing I could pick out that sound throughout the entire room. That bass has some high end clarity that just stands out. I also enjoyed Troll's Cirri especially the fretless. A fretless was on the back end of my GAS list but playing that one has moved that need up my list. Jauqo you are phenomenal and very humble. Your Adler was a pleasure to play and I would like to hook up again someday to just share some more info.

The main thing I learned though is this, I have got to practice more!!!!! :bassist: :D :hyper:

Seeing so many bassists with varying styles was joyous. We have to do this again and soon. Bill made me want to throw in the towel. He has so much groove in his one hand it is unbelievable.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thank you Robear22,anytime you want to hook up just contact me.I was just having a Ball and just sharing some things.

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First, it was an absolute treat to share my stuff with folks, and I'm glad most enjoyed them...
    (thumbs nose at Warwickthumb (Joe)). ;) :bag: :D

Also, meeting all those cool people, and that guy that made his own electric upright. Paintandsky I think? Dang, man.

And Bill, what can you say. Most folks would have been destroyed by his experiences. That man has serious spirit, all the appropriate props big time. In fact, he has so much spirit, I think he had trouble taming it, but that's understandable considering what was going down. :)

Last but NOT least, Jauqo... man... Jauqo. Everything he said and did was all about where my head's at, and where I wanna' be when I grow up to be a real bass player someday. :)

That thing he has with Ernie... I've been lucky enough to have been there before with some "rhythmic soulmates", and I understand why Jauqo had a bit of trouble 'splainin' it. It's a magical, maybe even spiritual thing that has real power and gives great freedom at the same time... amazing and precious.

If any of you haven't had it before, go find it, treasure it, learn from it. You'll grow more as a musician in days than others might in years. Let me put it this way, I've got way more chops now than back when I was a better player. :)

OHHHH, yeah, and way cool that Mark hooked us up with such an awesome place to do it. :)

20. lakiehelena

lakiehelena

Aug 2, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Marketing & PR, Lakland
    Hey ya'll - It was great meeting all of you and trying out all the different basses - Vic - I'm still drooling over the Roscoe - and I really liked the DR Black Beauties (on the MTD) a lot, I want to try them on my Neuser Courage. :bassist:

I also had a lot of fun "playing" (read: making tuneless noises on) the electric upright created by one talented cat whose name escapes me now...

It was a treat to see Jauqo, Bill, DaLawn and Ernie plug it in and turn it on, wasn't it? And I agree, Jauqo's presentation was great. :hyper:

Looking forward to the next get together. I agree about the volume, on one hand it was fun to see everyone playing with such gleeful abandon, on the other hand...I had a GCH (Guitar Center Headache) and my ears were burnt by the time I left so...some etiquette and consideration is probably needed for next time.

And regarding needing to practice more - yep, me too.

Cheers all. Helena

(In case you're wondering Neuser is pronounced "Noise-r")