1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post-Covid Band Plans?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Basslice, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Get back to where I was

120 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Do something new and different

60 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Hang it up, I'm done

16 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Other. Please specify (BTW, people tend to hate my polls and choices)

18 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    So what are your post-Covid music plans? Are you going to try to get back to where you were or are you going to try something different?

I am in an old-man Classic Rock & Blues cover band. I am the bassist and lead singer. We have been plodding along for 10+ years. I am in my mid-50's and been playing for 30+ years. I am the "baby" in this group and they really don't like to gig too often and even getting us all together weekly to practice had been difficult pre-Covid. We have done two outdoor practices since Covid hit.

Our practices have always consisted of going through our extensive set list. They are older and take a lot of breaks and don't have the energy to play late. Nor do they have much desire to learn new stuff and completely opposed to originals. I like to feel like I got a workout after a practice or gig. I don't like long breaks and like to play.

They are all good old friends, but I think post-Covid will bring new things. (1) I will continue with old friends - heck it is not like there is much time commitment. (2) I will likely find/found something new with younger (or at least similarly minded) people. In my early days I always found bands where I was the weakest link and that helped me learn and grow. In my current situation, I'd say I have the most talent and don't really learn anything from my mates.

Time for something new and different. I cannot wait!

cchorney, tbird46553 and dcbluesbass like this.
  2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Looking to get back in the saddle when safe to do so.

3. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    COVID helped expedite the end of my band. Sucks. We were together for just over 15 years. But towards the end we were definitely starting to lose the magic. Then COVID came along and just speed up the inevitable demise. That's okay I suppose. More time to dedicate to my solo/duo project, but I'd be lying if I said I won't miss the band. It was my favorite way to spend an evening and my favorite thing to do on the weekends. C'est la vie.

rickwebb, Ggaa and Basslice like this.
  4. I'm just hoping to get past this crap and get back to gigs again. We've learned alot of new stuff this fall and will love playing it for people.

cchorney, leto, Geddaric and 5 others like this.
  5. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Every band I was with before the pandemic has plans to resume playing as soon as we can. One band is hoping for more rock shows and less pub gigs, another has recorded an album remotely and will be looking to do promotional stuff for it (shows, interviews etc).

Some of us have done little solo projects and collaborations that we’ll probably put on the back burner, but they’re really intended as creative filler anyway. I for one am just so excited to play with real people, for real people again.

BassDad1964, cchorney and Basslice like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I voted other. No carrots, no poll.

I plan to build a monument to the anti-piracy movement in music. There will be a statue in the lobby featuring Rerun, Raj and Dwayne taking a stern lecture from the Doobie Brothers. Looking for donors.
    upload_2021-1-11_10-39-37.jpeg

3Liter, cchorney, allen_m and 9 others like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Get back to where I was.

I love my band. We've rehearsed a few times but that's about it. Honestly, we pretty much knocked the dust/rust off every time. I got my first dose of the vaccine a few days ago. Second one coming in a couple of weeks. I'm ready. Bring it on!

I have slowly dwindled away my practice time. I still do it a few times a week for a little while. But, honestly, with no goals I just can't get into it.

8. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I would love to get back at it with the band,but the guitarist quit. And we cant seem to find a replacement that is physically able to gig or willing to learn newer material. With this in mind,I pondered how I could improve myself and adapt to this new reality.
    I took this time during our band layoff to revisit the guitar. I haven’t played seriously for 20 years! But i had the last few months with no gigs or band practice so I threw my energy into studying the guitar.
    Wow! Things have really changed,their is so much information available now that within a months time I was killing it on guitar! I'll still play bass but I feel the need to evolve to be able to stay on the same course I was before covid. In the end I'm just not ready give up my music yet.

2strings2frets and Basslice like this.
  9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Before COVID i was mostly doing pickup jazz gigs as a sub or regular, on upright bass. I plan to keep doing some of that if i can, but have also been working up my guitar/vocal chops to try to get myself into a lead role playing more music outside of the jazz realm. So a little bit of old, a little bit of new.

Ekulati, Basslice and mexicant like this.
  10. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I can hardly wait to get together with some of my fellow geezers from the senior center and jam again. I might host a blues jam at my house. Dare to dream.

11. The longer this persists the more I think of this.

12. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    We were working on a new project when COVID hit. We took several months off, but have recently been able to resume practicing in the drummer's basement, where we can spread out. We are fleshing out our set lists and are hopeful to be out gigging by summer's end or fall when the local wineries get busy. Completely new band but experienced musicians, some of whom have good connections for getting gigs once we are ready.

Basslice likes this.
  13. No Carrots?! How can we have a poll without a carrot option?
    That being said -i am ready to start playing out again. Hell at this point even a rehearsal would be hella fun.
    The way they are rolling out these vaccines though that may be 2024 :)

pcake likes this.
  14. Basslice

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    :laugh:Sorry about no carrot! I warned you that people hate my poll options!:laugh:

pcake and Jimmy4string like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my 7pc. jazz band = we're chompin' at the bit: resume rehearsals and gig again. pick up where we left it!
    the event band = will play fair-weather gigs already booked.

can't wait to play some music with these monster players. i miss 'the scene'...i'm 70 and i need to play in order to function on all cylinders. :D

i voted "get back to where i was."

16. Basslice

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I understand (most people on TB do). I am re-dedicating myself to playing live and being around people that like music. I am less interested in woodshedding alone or with my current band. Life is too short. We got to go for it!

Fun Size Nick and JRA like this.
  17. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Record my own music. Create publishing company, and contact PR/Management companies.

No band interactions unless paid or jazz related.

DirtDog and klyph like this.
  18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Same here — I sure wasn't feeling it anymore and few venues pre-covid unless you play acoustic. Would be great to re-start with my drummer but finding chill "hang people" is tough.

Wanker_Joe, Basslice and RocknRay like this.
  19. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I voted ‘Other...’ although I was already in transition :thumbsup:

I retired from playing CR in Nov. of 2019... little did I know we’d be on hiatus anyway :woot: (from our ‘farewell’ gig)

... but hope to get my ‘churchy-group’ back together- soon! (shameless, tangential, plug) :roflmao::thumbsup::laugh::)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hoping like heck to get back where I was. Drummer is still on board. Even if it is just me and him, we’ll make something happen. So maybe new and different will have to work. As long as I can make music...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021