Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post-Fender LA SWR Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Yes,I like them...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No,I do not like them

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. I have not tried them out yet.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. look like cool combos to me

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    For the life of me I will NEVER understand why the folks at SWR thought it was a good idea to compete in the noob/very-low-end market. The LA series was just an attempt to cash in on the name in a market that is already crowded with too many choices.

For entry level stuff I'd look at Peavey or the WM series from SWR before settling for the LA's. Just MO.

3. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I played thru a bunch of little amps late last year and the GK backline 110 was the best of the bunch. I hated the sound of the 112 backline. The LA's were too wimpy in the 10 & 12. If your gonna get a 15, buy a good amp. The backline was still better but I'd sooner get the GK250/1x15 combo for like 450ish.

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    When i was searching for a combo to practice and play real small gigs with, I played through one of these. To me, it sounded terrible. It was really weak volume-wise, and the tone left a lot to be desired. I eventually settled on a CrateBX-100. While some people may put these little amps down, I have nothing but good things to say about them. It has served me very well. I would at least give it a try.

Edit: This was two summers ago. I don't know if it was the "new" SWR.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That being said, I doubt the new ones are any better.

6. Darn...I played a LA-12(old style) @ G.C and kind of liked it.

Well,anything sounds good compared to my practice amp. A trip to G.C will tell.

7. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    I have an old LA 1x15 and I think it sounds great. The only thing it can't handle is the low B turned up really loud, but it sounds excellent and has quite a lot of power for a little 100 watt combo. I replaced it with nicer louder stuff now, but I don't think you can beat it for the price.

--Marc

8. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Play everything you can, and when it all comes down to it, get what YOU like best. It doesn't really matter what we say on here, it's just some suggestions.

Also, the suck is strong? Must be because of that Rogue(sp?)! That crate looks fun, i didn't know they made 'em like that!

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Trust me, a 1x10 Yorkville 50 watt combo for the same price beats it. By far. Volume wise AND tone wise. The LA series suck, and will always suck unless they put better woofers in them, as well as a better power amp, and a limiter.

10. Of course...

:oops:

11. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH

All I know is, my bassist for a metal band has no problems keeping up with 2 guitarists and a drummer indoors. No way for a club, but indoors he shakes the walls. Maybe I just got lucky on the one I got :/