1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post Ike life...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassic83, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Well, this is day 10 of no electricity for us. The other side of the street has power, but apparently our side suffered more damage. Neighbor two doors down had her tree take out the primary line powering the transformers and they said they would restore it within two to three weeks. I guess we'll just be patient. I've gone through $200 in gas for the gennie, and that's with the next door neighbor kicking in as well. We lost our 50' hackberry tree that shaded our south side, it was big like an old oak, and it fell on our house. We finally got it cut down, the last trunk piece we cut was so big around that my wife and I couldn't hold hands around it, and six feet high, when it hit the ground, it was felt two doors down. Must weigh at least half a ton, that one piece!

We run the gennie for only 8-9 hours a day, enough to cool my fridge, keep the freezer frozen, and charge the cell phones. Sometimes we watch tv, for the news. Mostly we are trying to help out those less fortunate. My wife did a load of laundry in the bathtub, and hung the clothes outside to dry. Old school.

She made it onto the island (Galveston) today, she told me the smell is just god-awful. Her restaurant had 8 feet of water in it. The family that owns it had three out of five of their homes destroyed. One is OK, one has water damage, but livable. They have no water, no gas, no sewer. It truly is a third-world existance down there. The fish tanks are green and have dead fish in them. The tables and chairs are unusable, the carpeting is gone, all the walls had to be ripped out. The owner is a cardiac patient, has about a week's worth of medicine left, no food, all their cars are destroyed, one girl who used to have a new Honda Element now gets around on a rusty bicycle she found. The dumpster is missing, the only thing that survived was the upstairs office. Everything is covered in black slime mold in the houses. You have to wear a respirator in order to enter the building. The guys were trying to work without them, but the owner's daughter made them put masks on or be dismissed. The insurance adjuster came out and said it wasn't covered. They get nothing. They did have flood insurance, but are being told it wasn't a flood, but a surge. A tidal event apparently is not considered a flood event. They are having to get lawyers just to get their insurance to pay up. Nasty business.

Water, ice, and food started filtering into our area in the south end of Galveston County on Tuesday, though we weren't told where to go to get it. We had to rely on word of mouth, or drive up to Houston (45 minute drive each way), and wait in 2-3 hour lines. Gas is now plentiful, as 75% of the stations are open in Houston, but there is only one gas station open in Galveston. Most of the emergency vehicles fuel there, so there is rarely any left for the people trying to recover. Devastating is not even a good word for it. Almost all the coverage on the news is focusing on the travails of Houstonites who lost their vacation homes, or those who are looking for child care so they can go back to work in Houston. Little mention is made of the pure suffering on the island. More mention is made of HISD opening schools. Nobody knows when the La Marque schools will reopen, or GISD schools. For all the coverage of the north and west-side relief supplies, I have yet to see the first MRE in Galveston County. Most of the ice we have gotten has been $1.79 a bag. The people in Houston get theirs for free. WE are the ones who got really hit, in Galveston County. I am fortunate, I still have a job and a vehicle, my wife has no job now for at least a couple months, maybe longer. If a FEMA person came up to me today and offered me help, I'd probably spit in their face and ask them where they were for the week and a half after the storm! Too little, too late, not good enough. Get down there on the island and start handing out water and ice and food to people!

OK, rant over. Waiting for the power to come back on in two more weeks.

2. I don't have much to add, my man. Make sure they wear the respirators. I gutted homes after Katrina....you'd be surprised what can grow in that environent. It was like a pietre dish.

Mike

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm praying for ya, bro.

If all else fails, I've got a place for you to stay on either side of the country. :)

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Thanks, Big B. We're OK, we'll get through. It's like a camping trip gone really badly awry. :ninja:

5. Yikes, sorry to hear that dude. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

My home took no damage, and our power was restored yesterday, so life here is back to normal for the most part.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Given the insurance companies' situations (uniquely horrible economy, multiple cities with widespread damage), it's got to be painful to be in their shoes. But they knew what they were getting into. "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you."

Good luck going forward, and keep trying to make the best of this "camping trip" you're on.