Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post mp3's of your acoustic bass!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 8, 2003.

1. roll up ABG owners.

here's my Hohner TWP600B, defretted, with Roto Jazz flats, recorded with a mic.

there's a bit of buzzing from a loose bit of bracing in the body.

(the bassline is from Japan's "In Vogue")

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nice... great tone. I've played one in a store before... fretted. I don't know if I'd buy one... well I will when I become finacially secured enough to throw money around on basses.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Awesome recording Mock. I really would like an acoustic bass sometime. First I have some other gear issues to attend to. I played a Dillion acoustic a while back and it was an awesome instrument. I would love to do some acoustic gigs.

How is your acoustic volume wise. Can it keep up with dreadnoughts strung with nickle strings? How about something "louder" like an Ovation?

4. thanks guys.

the Hohner unplugged has no chance of competing with even a single acoustic guitar, unfortunately:(
    the body is shallow by most ABG standards (about 3in).
    it's loud enough for practising/ recording and just loud enough to annoy the neighbours through the wall:p

phosphor bronze rounds would increase the volume, but I'm not after that zingy sound, and they'd also tear up the fingerboard (as it is there's noticeable wear after 9 yrs use even with flats).

I'd like to try a Tacoma (I'm wondering if the bolt-on neck allows extra volume).

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sounds nice man! I'd love to have a fretless ABG. I'm also interested in the Tacoma. The fretted ones that I've played sound very nice.

brad cook

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Cool! I didn't see the line where you said what the track was, and it was a pleasant suprise. I'm gonna have to learn that one. :)

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Mick Karn tabs! :eek:

http://www.fetafunk.com/

Under "music", various albums have tabs available (Tin Drum, his solo CDs, Dalis Car. . .)

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have 3 tunes over at Mp3.com http://www.mp3.com/max_valentino

All three were recorded on my Godin A4 fretted ABG,strung with Thomastik-Infeld Acoustic Bass strings, and are featured on my CD "A Caravan Of Dreams".
    How do I post them here?

write to ekstasis1@hotmail.com for more info on that CD,

I have recently added a Godin A5 fretless five string ABG (set up with a high C string) and am now recording a new solo bass Cd, for which this bass features prominently.

Max

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I hereby subscribe to this thread... MP3s to come...

:D

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Here's a snippet from "Blackbird" on my Martin BC-15E
    the bass has gobs of tonal options, everything is flat

round wound nickel strings
    fretted

the recording was just one take...real quick....its shoddy, but the idea is to get the sound of the bass ;)

11. nice one, Robot.
    the sustain above the 12th fret on my Hohner is a bit too thuddy for stuff like that- it tends to sound like a violin played pizzicato, (also when it used to have frets (and rounds) the intonation was questionable).

Max, are the Thomastik strings you use the nylon-core ones or the phosphor bronze?
    i downloaded "here and now". great tune and playing, although the tone is a bit trebly for my liking.

12. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

TI Acoustic Bass (aka "Acousticore" or AB series) are phsphor bronze windings over a nylon core. Designed by TI and Rick Turner, they are the only string designed solely for use with piezo PUs. They offer a tremendous tonal and dynamic range that is simply unmatched by any other string.
    They are very light, but incredibly balanced, and respond wonderfully to sight cahnges in your right hand technique. This allows for a lot of tone variation to be made without eq or effects. It puts the tone back in your fingertips.

As for that tune..and it's tone. On that tune my Godin A4 is strung with TI Jazz Rounds, as I was seeking a more treble kind of sound...almost like a jazz guitar...which I felt would have been a nice match to the 7b5 chords which are throughout the progression. But, to be fair, I have to chalk part of that tone up to recording and mixing on headphones at 4 .am!

That tune,"Here and Now",was initially inspired by a desire to do something with TI Jazz rounds (nickel rounds) on the Godin to get a sorta jazz gtr sound. My goal was to get a Pat Metheny-ish tone, and use a lot of 7b5 chords in a loop-based improvisation. The recording, by the way, conatins no overdubs. The chordal part was played live and looped on the spot....the melody improvised as was the bridge section. The main verse chordal part being looped in my JamMan and the Bridge beeing looped on a DL4. The whole tune is an improvisation...one take, no overdubs, no edits (save editing out the original building of the loop...for brevity's sake). I also thought the tone was a bit bright...but the spirit of the piece could not be replicated. It was a one shot deal!

When I do that tune in my solo shows, I always have to go back and listen and re-learn just what it was I did.
    Thanks for your feedback....
    Max

13. bump- anyone out there got the Thomastik acousticores on their ABG and can post a clip?

the set of Roto light-gauge (35-95) flats on my Hohner have been on for 8 years now- at least that's one bass I don't have to buy new strings for :D

14. Here's my Ovation Celebrity Deluxe 5 string strung E-A-D-G-C sporting TI Acousticores (bought a 6 string set and used the top 5 strings). The strings are >4 months old. No EQ except for the pre-shape (which I usually have on).

Please excuse my lousy playing, but you wanted to hear the strings (and bass).

15. Same riff, but this time at the neck.

16. Comping "Take 5" rather badly... :)

EDIT: Re-recorded, down sampled in Cool Edit to give longer for fewer Kb! Hurrah!

17. thanks MKS.

I've tried Ovation acoustic basses and been impressed by the acoustic volume in relation to the size of the body.

18. ...I might have a go at recording the melody to that-
    "Talkbass Playalong":)

19. here we go- MKS' chord comping on the left, my Hohner (plugged in) on the right doing my approximation of the lead melody.
    flats and a high action aren't the best setup for this application (too thumpy)- the low-tension Acousticores would be better, but anyway..

urgh- I've realised just how bad the onboard pickup is- had to roll off the treble and boost some mids in the mix.

20. Sounds REALLY nice! Organic... :)

I've got other comping choons up my sleeve if you want to give them a shot! MTR - PM me your e-mither address and I'll send 'em on.

Jazz... Experimental! ;)