Post Nuclear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bucephylus, Nov 22, 2003.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I'm feeling very post nuclear about the US music scene right now. What do I mean?

Well, let's take music on television. MTV and VH-1 have turned into some twisted psycho's concept of brainwashing adolescent females to engage in sex at every opportunity. I haven't actually heard music on either of those channels in 7 or 8 years. We've got hundreds of channels and almost no content. Thank God for Austin City Limits. I'm about to become a country music supporter for the simple reason that at least Nashville still actually plays music, even if its not my first choice.

RAP has turned into Vogueing.

People in my neck of the woods hardly go to clubs anymore - too much smoke, DUI enforcement etc.

My kids generation is grooving to computer generated lines. Yuchh, sorry to those at ASCAP and BMI, but computers don't groove.

Sub-woofers in cars just sound wrong to me. That is NOT what bass is about. I just can't get a concept of groove with those things. (and bear in mind my favorite amp is an Acoustic 360)

When I was younger, popular music styles were changing, but there was a legacy, a heritage. Things came from other things. Now, it seems like anything that makes money is OK even if it's modulated recorded farting.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but its getting harder.
  2. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I think the whole music industry, (Radio and Recording)has been on it's way down the tubes for quite some time now. Most of the stuff that gets air time is pretty forgetable, in most genres. It is sad. The Music Industry has been redirected to sex appeal and pop fashion and we are all just along for the ride. There are not enough musicians and people that really appreciate music to force a change. There is good music out there, it is just not main stream and you have to search it out. Music is a performence art but, when the visual display encroaches the auditory experience, something is amiss.
  3. I agree with both of you.

It's the same deal here in Europe. The TV music channels are plain awful, with a good item only once every week for about half an hour or something. And the radio's awful to, there's an oldies station and a classic rock station and that's really all I listen to.
    I can't believe that the mainstream has turned to this. All the good stuff has gone underground, real deep. I just don't get the youth of today. And I'm 22 years old! :meh:

And I totally hear you on those car-subwoofers, or actually any modern sound system! I mean, where's the punch? There's indeed no groove, no funkiness. I LOATHE modern hi-fi/car/etc. equipment. What they define as bass is just a big frequency hump around 40/50Hz and to compensate they got tweeters pushing out a huge hump at 15 kHz or something. UGLY!! Where's all the warmth? The mids? It's because it's tailored for electronic 'music', which usually boils down just a bass drum and earsplitting hihats and synth sounds... who needs mids, eh?
    The worst part is that to me it seems this tendency has gotten into pro soundtechs as well.
    At concerts usually the bass makes you sick and the highs are so piercing I get headaches.

It's all such a shame, really.