1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post on Fmylife.com

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I saw this today and got a good laugh:

"Today, I was jamming in a garage studio with people I hadn't met before. After 20 minutes of playing what I thought was alright, the bass player, who I'd had never met, walked over to my amplifier and unplugged my input cable. The rest of the band kept playing like nothing had happened. FML"

Sounds like a smart bass player.

2. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I wonder if they were testing him.

Like, to see if he would notice if they were playing live and his cable came unplugged or something. Or even just to se how he'd handle it.

That or he just really sucked.

3. That's my bet. I've done similar things before, just to see what sort of response I'd get.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Really? The response you would get from me is a swift kick in the ass. No one messes with my gear, especially while Im using it.

5. Yeah, but you're the bass player- you matter. :)

6. Similar things, my friend, similar. I'd never do something that would risk damaging a man's amp.

For example, I've been known to request outlandish/impossible pieces as audition selections, like the Carmina Burana - simply to see the response. I figure, getting along with a guy is half of being in a band with him, so I want to know how he reacts to adversity.

7. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    I'd be a bit put off.

8. Undetstatement 2001.

Thats a bit much from someone the guy had never met before. And it is dispespectful to the guy and his gear..

Around here that would be first step to a square off....

If I were that bass player, the only acceptable responce id be looking for in that guitar player is ***....

Id have a lack of respect for the guy if he didnt man up.

9. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    there would have been a fight if i was there in about 5 seconds if that dude didnt explain *** was going on

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i disagree that he shouldve been so offended.

he was probably so awfull that it was a worthy move. i doubt he was being tested.

i test people by requesting musical things. (saying "play in a compound feel" rather than using the word triplets, to see if someones done their homework, kind of thing)

a move like that is no test. its a sure thing that he unplugged him because he did not want to hear him anymore.

and, it is funny..

11. in all probibility the dude did suck and the move was indeed intended to shut him up.
    ...but the bassist still seems something of a jerk.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I don't believe any one would get that chance with me. I'd slap somebody twice, before they even grabbed the cord.

The Key: Don't get familiar with somebody you don't know, not smart.

13. GeoffTPS!

GeoffTPS!

Jan 15, 2010
    I'm betting this fmylife was fake like most of them are. I doubt a guy would touch anyone elses gear at a jam.

14. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I don't know about that......

Once you get some angry, ego-centric people enough liquor, everybody becomes an "Amazing musician who wants to show off". That becomes twice as bad when there are a bunch of girls around.

I watched the other day as, at 3am, after A LOT of alcohol had been..... enjoyed, A guitarist went over to another who was currently soloing and started fiddling with the knobs on the amp. When the soloing guitarist asked "what's going on?", the drunk new guitarist yanked the the cable out of the head and yelled "You don't know good tone. Let me show you..." and then plugged in, sloppily played some really, REALLY distorted, out-of-tune pentatonics, and then promptly vomited all over the rug.

Unfortunately, this was at my friends house, so he had to deal with that. Fortunately, the formerly-drunk new guitarist made amends with my friend and is going to play for any damages that happened to the rug.

15. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    That rug really tied the room together. [​IMG]

16. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Epic.

17. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member