1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post Open Mic

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 28, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    BTW, I went to that open mic thing Thursday Night.

I get there and it's this little "red neck" bar out in the middle of "no where".

I get in there and see all these old guys (over 55) standing by the equipment and I'm like "***".

Turned out, I was literally blown away. These guys were amazing, the drummer was just awesome , never missed a beat great fills, very cool. The guitarist were blues pros, just fantastic ( they did not stick to boring 12 bar never ending jams.They did tight tunes).

The admission was $0.00. I have paid big bucks to see lesser more prominant local guys play.

You might google Robert Allen Jr, Milwaukee. He hosted the evening

I was disapointed that it was not really an open mic, I did not get to play. they only let a few guys playing harp play and another guitarist that seemed to know the house band.

blue
    "Never judge a book by it's cover"

Off Topic, For you Yard Birds fans, Jeff Beck is in Milwaukee on April 18th, playing a small venue, I can't wait

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    old guys = seasoned vets

as far a literally being blown way, I hope you found your way back to your feet and the venue :)

3. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    That's great, bro. It's too bad they're not getting money for their great playing!

+1 on the "literally blown away"... if you say literally, it means that you were actually lifted out of your seat and swept across the room by a gust of air ! :D

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

I use to play a rig that could do just that! :D

5. I play for the house band at one of these, and the venue recently closed its doors during hard times.

There are also really young players that will invariably knock your socks off too!.

When he isn't Touring, David Bromberg hosts the jam, and some pretty phenominal players show up!

These things can be "Best kept Secrets!"

Glad you lucked out and found one too!