post pics of buckeye burl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Nov 29, 2002.

1. let's see those pretty buckeye tops!
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    fretless5erfan will be along with a pic of a gorgoeus buckeye Roscoe-
    this will be my F Bass bn5- ready around Christmas!!
  3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    In a few months, this will be my new Curbow 4-string. (If you look closely, you can see the drawing of the body)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Adrian, that is going to be one sweet looking F-Bass!

I saw George F in Exotic Woods(Burlington) last week....he was picking up some really nice Quilted Maple. It is going to make some nice looking tops!
  5. :confused: Can anyone tell me how I post a picture as I hope to have some tomorrow of my buck eye bass that is being made and I would like to post them to this thread.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

Seems like much tops are going to come from this one..hehehe!

Edited: BTW, I don't know who the guy his...
  7. mine came from the middle of the tree:D

Here it is
  8. Alas adrian you know me all too well :D , the digital cam is comming soon...
  9. Matthew, that is a really nice piece. I like it because there is almost none of that dark/greenish stuff, it looks really natural "woody". That's pretty much what I'm looking for for my custom bass. Who's building yours and when is it coming in? Any Work-In-Progress pics?
  10. Taustin, thanks it took me a lot of time to find that peice. I really wanted a whiter piece of buckeye and not necessarily a heavily burled, green coloured one, they look stunning but as I said I wanted a whiter peice.

My bass is being built by Martin Peterson at Sei bass who builds some of the best basses in the world, yes I am biased or he wouldn't be building it for me!!!!

Here are the links to both his shop and his workshop so you can check out his basses. He has an impressive list of names he has built for and I delieve he is building one for Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets.

He is based in London and is really helpful and will build what you want. Apart from his main style of bases he will build one offs. You may have seen a recent thread on a very nice single cut and mine is a fairly unique 7 string fretless which Martin is building but not from his usual box of bits, although the shape is one of his standard flamboyant shapes.

The shop can be found at and Sei bass site is at All his work is immense and his attention to detail second to none.

I am actually going to visit him today to discuss neck profiles etc and so I hope to have more pics to post when I get home. I only have an old one of the headstock after it had been roughly shaped. which I will try and attach now.

I am new at the attachment game so bear with me if I do not get it right first time.

All the best with you project and keep us informed at TB we like to here about people's babies.

11. Taustin

Back from my visit to Martin. My bass is coming along and I have some more pics.

Here is the first one of the whole bass which has still to be shaped and the fretboard put on etc. It should have some varnish on it in the next week or so, so the full colour of the buckeye will then come out.

I have other pics that I will have to post seperately. Hope you enjoy them.

12. Here is the next one. You can see another single cut in the background.

13. Here is the last one for now.

14. Matthew,
    That looks like it is gonna one gorgeous bass. Can't wait to see it finished.

15. Geoff

Thanks. I will probably start a new thread when I get more pictures in a few weeks time to let people know how it is going.

I ordered the beast in April and it should be ready in the new year. It has been a long time coming and I can hardly wait to get my hands on it.

16. Please do. We need to see more Sei basses on this forum.
  17. Matthew, that looks great. Really nice piece of buckeye, I like it. Keep us posted!

I'm talking to Jack Read about my ideas right now, will probably finalize my order sometime in January.