Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

post pics of cheap modified basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Nov 21, 2003.

1. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have not seen a thread like this yet.
    let's see some of those nice cheap basses you
    got.

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd like to see one of these modified with a nicer pre-amp; some barts or EMG pickups in there to liven things up.

Take a Look at the Johnson JJ-336STBK "Catalyst" 6-String Bass

Looks like a cross between a 55-02; a Yamaha TRB and an Ibanez.

3. washburn xb-100
    defretted, stripped, shaped, sanded, stained, and waxed.

black walnut fretboard extension, too.
    and new dimarzio pickups.

4. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Nice!!

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to maybe get one of these and throw some EMG-DC45's or CS45's in there and see how it sounds. Who knows, maybe it already sounds incredible with the HZ's.
    Great bass for $700

[​IMG]

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I picked up this early 80's Vantage for really cheap...I haven't done anything major too it. Replaced the pickups with 1967 Fender Precisions(not in the pic), moved the lower strap button, and refinished the headstock. It is actually a great sounding bass! Really growly in the low mids, and smooth. I wouldn't expect that from a bass like this. I believe the body is Maple, but I won't know that until it is stripped;)

7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Here is my Cheap-o Bass with mods.
    1998 mim Fender Lined Fretless Jazz Bass.
    Paid $250.00 at a scratch & dent sale, put in a set of Seymore Duncans & a set of RS66 Steel
    Rotosound swing Bass strings.It came with a Fender Deluxe gig bag.
    [​IMG]

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    [​IMG]
    2000 Squier P-Bass Special. I've put a Fender Original Precision bass pickup in(I don't use the jazz pickup much, so it's stock). The bridge and pickup covers were added(it actually helps me when doing 3 finger gallop type riffs), and Dunlop Straploks. I will be putting flatwounds(Webstrings steel flats) on it when I'm closer to recording or gigging.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've posted this up here somewhere else, before...

It's a Hohner Headless, fretless:

[​IMG]

It is from the mid 80's (1985 or 6) bought it new in Kingston, MA (music unlimited)... After being absolutely beat up, abused and thrown at people/soundmen/bandmembers/trunk of car (never used a case for it)... I decided that it need duct tape... ALL OVER THE BODY!

...About 1989, I heard Gary Willis for the first time and thought: "hey my fretless could use a ramp of some sort". So, after helping to install a shower door, I took the excess plating and cut it in half and stuck it b'tween the pups.... It makes a really wild sound if you mash the strings into it (in a mike watt-like way)!

Other than that, I was getting sick of buying double ball bass strings... So I made my own 'single-ball string' clamp conversion, out of two mtn bike brake pads. Just screwed the nut over the E & A string, then the other pad would hold the D & G string... works like a charm.

*edit* ...it has be retired since 1992, just incase cats thought I still used it.

10. I see the Johnson Catalyst 6'er for 275 on the bay. How is that bass?

11. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Rogue With Dimarzio DP127...sounds great :p