Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

post pics of your dp customs!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Aug 18, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    im really interested to see your dp custom! im thinking having him make me one.
    nakoa

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Looks pretty cool. Did you get the design from a Warwick Fortress bass?? The upper and lower horns made me think immediately of one of those.

Ryan

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    god.. what kinda PUs are those... its like huge as hell.. and *** is up with all the knobs :eek:

4. DM, I think the "knobs" in the back of the bridge are part of a Warwick-style bridge.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    no, i already know that part :p whats the point of that bridge anyways. If the neck contruction isn't great, it won't make the B string any tighter. 5 knobs? why would you need 5 hehe unless none of them are stacked.. and those Soapbars are mighty big.. its going to cost him alot of $ for that bass for sure

6. Here is a VERY EARLY sketch of a 7-string I'm thinking about having built....

My friend drew it really quick, then I inked it before I realized the neck wasn't anywhere near straight. If I ever manage to get a final drawing (to scale and everything), I'll post it as well.

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ryan: no, i didnt design it after anything, but now that you mentioned it, it looks kind of like one. :eek:

dm: its a rough sketch, the picups do look out of proportion, but i want bartolinis in it. the bridge, i reall want like that, it looks real neat, and should add up to a nice b string, the knobs, i want like that , 2 vol, bass, mid and treb. im not a fan of the pan knob. did you say you were ordering a new salas? tell me about it.

thepaste: you go the bridge thing right.

da: neat body style, definately not ordinary, but cool. what are the knobs for?

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    DP Custom basses are dirt cheap compared to a lot of other custom bass makers - I am upset that I never heard about them earlier...

Out of curiousity, how much would he make 7-strings for?

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    check out www.dpcustom.com his prices are on there, im not sure of the exact charge for a 7, but from a 4 to a 5 is an up charge of 100$, from a 5 to a 6 is 100$ . so i figure it would be 100$ more than a 6 string. email him and find out, veyr responsive.

10. i want a bass: The knobs are there for pickup balance, volume, treble, mid, and bass (3-band EQ). The switches are there for active/passive, slap contour, and coil selection for each pickup. I plan on getting some Bart quads in there, so I want to be able to switch between double coil, single coil, and split on each of the two pickups.

Bass Guitar: If you want to know how much Dave will build a 7-string for, fire an email at him. He likes to keep price quotes confidential due to the volatility of wood prices and such, but he'll be more than happy to give you a price quote if you send him some specs. He's very easy to talk to.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Is there some reason why you removed it the link, Nakoa?

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    its pointless to post a picture of something if someone is going to dis it.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you aren't going to show it to us, what's the point of having the thread?

Thicken your skin a little bit, and repost it. I was interested in seeing it. No need to be so sensitive.

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    the point of it, was to see others basses.the pic i drew wasnt that good, o after i do another, maybe ill post it.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :rolleyes:

Just post it.

16. lol, your drawing was fine.

Look at mine for Pete's sake. It's absolutely horrid!

Don't be concerned about what other people think of your bass. After all, you're going to be the one playing it.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

i want - don't let `em bother you.

Anyone who's done a decent job getting their custom spec's together knows your drawing is about 1/2% of the work one needs to do to get something concrete for Dave to quote on............and then you're going to make at least 10 changes to that, if you're like many people.

18. yeah, don't let it bother you, drawing is a funny thing, you can get the same thing across in a 2 second sketch that a 2 hour drawing would take.

i'm designing my 6 string fretless at the moment which i'm building, and while i'm a designer by trade, so to speak, i could live with a simple sketch.
    just do it and don't be bothered, you improve as you go.

heres a scale drawing of the headstock that i did, it only took about 5 minutes, but what i'm trying to point out is that a reall bad/simple drawing would be enough for dave to work of, if i was him i'd just neaten it up and make sure it was square.

i agree with rickbass, this is nearly finished, but i'll have to move the tuning peg holes slightly as i still have to see the flats i'll be using( it's gonna be a 36"

later stu

19. Hey! I liked the pic! I thought it was an interesting design for what it is - an early concept drawing. What you lose by not posting is the opportunity to get feedback and challenges to your design in the concept stage - and that's a good thing! Better to get those ideas now than when you're actually showing a finished product.

Dave is a great guy to work with. It's very cool being able to design and build the bass you've always wanted.

Good luck!
    Jeff

20. Here is a pic of mine. It wont be too much longer till she gets here. it's a walnut body with a purpleheart top, walnut knobs, bart triple coils, 3 band eq, independant pickup volume, master volume. I think he has done an excellant job thus far. I love the edges, just a little walnut is sticking out from the purpleheart. Later

Nate M