1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post pics of your homemade tele bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stompin Tom, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I bought an old kalamazoo short scale bass neck off ebay. I'm probably going to smack it onto a tele guitar body and go nuts (it's almost exactly the same size neck pocket). I've seen a few pics here and there (I searched!) of similar custom jobs... I want to see them! Inspire me! give me new ideas!

I was also thinking of using a strat body instead, but it's harder to find a cheap(ish) one that's not routed for the stupid tremelo. I don't want a hole in the middle of my bass!

2. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Here is a pic of one I am just about finished with

There is a build thread on it at tdpri.com in the "Bass Place" forum. There arfe a few other over there as well

Attached Files:

3. Cool, thanks. That what I was looking for. Lots of stuff on the other forum. Already got one good idea from this... routing the neck pocket back to the neck pup...

4. That's very nice!

How do you like the bronco neck? I've thought about going that route before, but was afraid the neck wouldn't be worth the effort...

5. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Here's mine. Poplar, mahogany, basswodd and walnut. Gotoh bridge, Schaller P and Novak split coil 51 P pickups, Mighty Mite neck.

[​IMG]

6. Thank you!

I like Bronco necks just fine. I just completed my third Bronco based bass. I'll post pix soon. I'm careful about what I buy. The first two were used and the third was new. I make sure the fret work is good, the wood has no obvious flaws and that the finish on the back side of the neck is smooth. I've had a professional play the Tele-Bronco and he thought it was very nice. He had no idea of where the neck came from.

Here's a link to my first effort:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4876543#post4876543

7. Can't see yours, redemptionbass.

I notice most folks use the duncan scpb-3 (that's the single coil p-bass quarter pounders)... How do they compare to, say, a typical split p-bass pup tone?

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Does anyone have dimensions they can email me for a tele body?