1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post-rock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Anyone else here listen to this genre of music? For me it has to be my second favourite genre of music of all time, next to folk. I'm talking about bands like:

Mogwai
    Explosions in the Sky
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Mono
    Red Sparowes
    This Will Destroy You
    Sigur Ros
    Triosk
    Bell Orchestre
    The Samuel Jackson Five
    iLiKETRAiNS
    The Album Leaf
    Stars of the Lid
    Caspian
    Do May Say Think
    God is an Astronaut
    Cyann & Ben
    Battles
    Talk Talk
    World's End Girlfriend
    Set Fire to Flames
    Eluvium

If you haven't heard of some or any of those bands, you should check them out.

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Have you checked out Post-Metal?

Isis, Pelican, Jesu... stuff like that?

and I saw Do Make Say Think live, they were great.

3. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I wouldn't really call post-metal a genre for some reason, Isis is more sludge than post-rock.

I personally don't really listen to metal all that much.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
  5. The thing with post-rock is it can be very beautiful and haunting, but many of the bands seem to follow the same soft/loud/soft/loud/etc. conventions and formulas that get old. Add to that post-rock song titles are so ridiculously long and pretentious. That being said, I do like a lot of post-rock bands, and I like that envy, one of the best emotional hardcore/screamo bands, worked with mogwai.

6. Post-rock is excellent. Some of my favorite bands belong to that genre.

Not sure if I'd agree with your inclusion of Battles, though. They're cool for sure, but I dunno.

I do love Do Make Say Think, EitS, Sigur Ros, hrsta, Gregor Samsa, A Silver Mount Zion, etc.

I used to actively search out more of it, but like Infernal Affair said, a lot of it really sounds the same. I prefer the bands that really distinguish themselves.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, I don't really think of Battles as Post-Rock in that "Godspeed!" sense.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    You covered all the ones I was about to suggest.

I really suggest This Will Destroy You. I bought both cds and a shirt. :D

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    personally, I don't really like any genres that have the word "post" as a prefix... I agree with Dr. David Thorpe's philosophy that "post____" usually means "basically the same thing as regular ____, but with all the fun sucked out."

Just my two cents.

10. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I like Post Pebbles.

GSY!BE and Mogwai are pretty sick from what I've heard of their stuff.

11. Just started listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor what an amazingly weird band didn't know that was them in that song from 28 days later. Explosions in the Sky is a great band but don't knock some of the post metal bands like Jesu/Pelican/Isis they are quality stuff too.

And do the Secret Machines qualify as post-rock or are they too poppy/song orientated :oops:

12. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
  13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Heresy!

No band I've not-yet seen can suck live
    :ninja:

14. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Another post-rock band that I'd definitely recommend, though some of their stuff comes across as "shoegaze-y" is Cranes. Also Miranda Sex Garden is fun and do tend to stray from the format more than a lot of bands do.

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I don't get it...what comes after rock?

I think I fell off the trend-bus long ago.

16. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Profit.

17. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I don't mean to sound obtuse but I'm in the same boat. After rock? Isn't rock music still going on?

18. Post-Rock was originally intended as a concept where traditional 'rock' instruments and song structures were put to one side - hence the inclusion of Stereolab and Tortoise amongst others. Battles are a great contemporary example of this.

This eventually became a genre, when the instrumental 'quiet/loud/quiet/loud' thing came about.

In my view Mogwai and a few other bands have side-stepped this cliched sound by moving on - Mr Beast was a definite departure from the 'genre' sound - whereas other bands have not.

You've got to give pelican a try - it isn't traditional metal by any means. All the albums are great.

Of the rest, Gregor Samsa, Red Sparowes, God is an Astronaut are among my favourites.

I also love The Rock Of Travolta's Uluru album. Well worth a listen.

19. Agree 110%, I often find a lot of bands get too caught up in the concept of what they are doing and fail to relate their passion for message or titles to their music. Even Mogwai are prone to this.

I do also find their arrogant naming standard of post rocks, and it's pretences (musically, being 'beyond' rock, and doing what it cannot) annoy me to no end.