1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post songs you wish you could sing AND play at the same time...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ..but can't yet, for reasons of technique or lack of time to practice, whatever.

My #1 is Elvis' "Kentucky Rain" w/the great Tommy Cogbill on bass. If you don't get the vocal and the bass line right, it just ain't worth doing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/L8WfuBAThQc&rel=1

2. "Born Under A Bad Sign."

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    blessed are you by iced earth...i'm pretty sure there's no videos of it on youtube. it's easy enough to play, but i can't sing at all:p

4. Hysteria. I can play it, and i can sort of sing it, but not a chance of doing both at the same time :p

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    POW! - Larry Graham
    DMV - PRIMAS
    Roundabout - Yes

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    "Hesitation Blues" by Hot Tuna
    whether playing the bass or guitar on this song it's sooo hard to sing.

7. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    "one better" by les claypool, i can play it, but the fact that les sings it, plays it, and dances at the ame time is completely ridiculus

8. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    "one better" by les claypool, i can play it, but the way les can sing it, play it, and dance simultaiously is ridiculus

9. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    "Black Water", originally by the Doobie Brothers. (I arranged it for a guitar/bass duo so the bass plays a mix of the original bass line and the guitar line).

10. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    All of them.

:bag:

11. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but rags like Hesitation Blues are easy to sing once you get used to the 2-against-3 loping feel of ragtime. Not that this is particularly easy in itself, but those songs are designed to fall into rhythmic pockets that make them easy to carry.

I have a much harder time with second line, and Iko-Iko type New Orleans beats. The syncopation across the measures always makes steam come out of my ears when I have to sing against it.

Click track 6 here: http://cdbaby.com/cd/casablancos3

If you want to hear me try, lol.

As for the OP, my dream would be able to play like George Porter whilst singing like Art Neville.

12. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Rio by Duran Duran

13. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Anything by Dag

14. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    I can't even play "Gimme Some Lovin'" and sing it at the same time.

But I play and sing a mean "Jailhouse Rock." You take what you can.

15. The Pot by Tool. Especially the intro - vocals are easy, the intro is mildly hard, but together I just go asfinasildnfwtf?! Epic fail.

Broadbandcorpse likes this.
  16. bassrocker521

bassrocker521

Jan 14, 2008
    Good Vibrations...or really any beach boys song

17. same here

show me your souls by rhcp is a pretty cool song to play too...but no way in hell i can sing and play....period

18. Craithius

Craithius

Oct 19, 2007
    +1.1

19. dustdbass6

dustdbass6 Alembic User

Apr 24, 2007
    Livermore, California

That's awesome, I would love to see that arrangement!

20. Used to sing and play Green Day "When I Come Around", I personally had to simplify the bass line in order to pull it off. Wish I could have nailed the vocal and the actual bass line. :meh: