Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

post video of your technique! (webcam, video, etc)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Dec 5, 2004.

1. With so many high speed internet connections around these days, quickcams and web space, it seems only natural that you should share video of yourself playing for feedback from other bass players. Let's face it, when we play live we're often drowned out, and it's not to easy to see how we're doing things.

So I present to you all a thread in which if you are so equipped, you can place a video of you playing and receive feedback from others about how to improve technique or just receive "awesome!"s

Here is me playing tommy the cat. I haven't yet been able to play it by slapping THROUGH the string but i can play it by bouncing my thumb OFF the string. I'm not sure if this is how Les does it, but I would appreciate feedback and if I'm doing it wrong, let me know and I will work to play it even better.

http://www.secondspecies.com/jason/tommythecat.avi ( ~ 2 megs )

and here is my playing wooten's "classical thump" again always looking for ways to improve (i know my timing is off with the metronome, i have spent a lot of time working on it but since I can't yet play it perfectly I figured I would just throw this up for now)

http://www.secondspecies.com/jason/thump.avi ( ~ 5 megs)

2. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Not bad, on classical thump play with more feel and power. and the triplet part of the opening is open hammer upstroke. slap the string, hammer on, and upstroke every note of the original line to get the triplets. best thing to do is to grab your bass and practice this over and over and over whenever and where ever when you are not doing anything else. and play scales and chromatically all over your fretboard.
    tommy the cat is alright too. there are strummed notes in the line not only slap. The strummed notes in the beginning of the riff are F# and B on the D and G string and there are sets of triplets in the riff too. I dont know exactly but thats what my ears hear. I wish i had a camera or recorder to show you. but good luck i hope this helps you out.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dang it! I totally want to post a video. I even made a video the day after this thread was started; it starts out "Well, here it is. My first post of my work to TalkBass..." (OK - sounds dorky now that I see it written-out, but that's what I say...). It pretty well demonstrates one-finger back-and-forth plucking with thumb trailing/muting. I also sing a verse. I don't know how many Megs that little intro wasted, but this 1:11, 640X480 recording is already 25Megs!

I just have to get together this 'upload it to a server and link to it' thing.

Joe

4. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
  5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yo EmmSee! Where you at in boston? I'm 15 minutes away from there. By the way, nice tobias! Sounds great!

6. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks man... I actually live just outside of Boston in Woburn. GO PATS!

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Woburn! Near Performance music center?

8. what song is that by stu hamm? i wanna learn it - awesome playing too!

tucker - thanks for those tips. I've revamped my playing of tommy the cat so that i'm playing through the string, doing double thumps on the E string and working in the strum. The classical thump triplets are awesome, and i can use that in a lot of places too

9. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Close enough. My girlfriend actually bought a Fender Strat there for me a few years back.

10. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks man! It's from "Flow My Tears" ...
    album link:
    Stu Hamm - Radio Free Albemuth

11. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys!

I generally think that I have good technique. Watch my video from my bass-assesment and see if I'm right... :smug:

My bass assesment autumn '04

Keep rockin'...

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That was cool.

13. Top work on the song! But I cant seem to find this song on the internet (im cheap, so sue me) Would anyone be able to send it to me?

14. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Great work!!! Excellent!

15. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I dig... nice tune. Great technique!

16. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for listenin! At the time I was using some old Zoom multi-fx pedal, a cheap-o. It was just a standard reverb.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hey, can you post some slow, and then ascending in speed videos of your double thumbing?

EDIT: Oh yeah, great chops by the way :D!

EmmSee: That's some SWEET chordal stuff and tapping. I love practicing that, but I'm not as good as you (yet ;)). Great job.

18. OK, thnx for the info, don't know that much about effects so. :p It sounded sweet though. :)