1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post you completed bass from a KIT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dawn.Wayne.forever, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dawn.Wayne.forever

Dawn.Wayne.forever

Jan 4, 2016
    Post your completed bass that you built from a KIT! Tell us what you did, what issues you encountered, how to's..... Thanks

jeepsk8 and Stinsok like this.
  2. image.

All of the fun and games can be read in my build thread.

3. Dawn.Wayne.forever

Dawn.Wayne.forever

Jan 4, 2016
    Man it looks like you went thru hell n back but you made it! Very nice bass.

eightyearsapril likes this.
  4. Dawn.Wayne.forever

Dawn.Wayne.forever

Jan 4, 2016
    That's a very different shape, was it a KIT or home done body? Very clean looking, nice build.

5. It was a jazz body kit from Guitar Fetish. Thanks.
    The thread shows where I cut off about 25% ? off the body.

S-Bigbottom and GKon like this.
  6. Dawn.Wayne.forever

Dawn.Wayne.forever

Jan 4, 2016
    Sorry.. Just seen the link you provided for your build.. Very nice man, I love natural wood basses. My Ibanez has a nice tongue oiled finish, 5 piece neck.. No gloss very natural. I'm looking to buy a KIT tho..and am waiting to see a few more posts before dropping $

7. Well, the GF kit is ok.
    Cheapo parts.
    I did purchase the MM style PU extra from them.
    The body is bass wood, paulawena(sp), very, very light. And seems to be(at least to me) toxic or very annoying to sand.

8. Dawn.Wayne.forever

Dawn.Wayne.forever

Jan 4, 2016
    I got ya.. Well want something in ash or mahogany if I can find it.

9. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    I've always loved the Ampeg scroll bass, but can't afford one, nor a newer copy by Eastwood, Italia or Bacchus,
    so I decided to make my own.

I had limited work space (my bedroom) and limited tools, so had to make do with what I could.

I ended up buying a P-bass kit from Thomann, and then did the work. You can read about the entire
    build here: My first "build". P-bass to Scroll bass. Some info/advice please?

Basically (no pun intended), I bought this kit:
    7152101e.

And made this bass:
    IMG_9925eee. IMG_9939eee. IMG_9947eee. IMG_9943eee.

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That's the first F-hole headstock I've ever seen. Awesome!!

11. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Thank you, very much!

The headstock was a rectangular shape. I needed to shape it, but could not make a scroll, as on the original Ampeg
    scroll bass. I wanted to do something, however, that would tie it in with the f-hole cutout on the body, which led
    me to cut the f-hole in the headstock. I also shaped the edge of the headstock so it's shape would match the outline
    of the f-hole.

12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    That is GORGEOUS! I have an all new type of GAS.

Dawn.Wayne.forever and GKon like this.
  13. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Wow, wintremute. I don't know what to say other than thank you for the compliment! I really appreciate it!

14. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Les Paul bass. Made this from a Les Paul guitar kit. Ice Blue metallic, Hagstrom HB-4 pickups and electronics with a StellarTone. La Bella White Tapes. P1010796.JPG

15. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    @GKon That bass looks amazing. I'm going to go read your thread but man I want your bass.

GKon likes this.
  16. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    I'm completely blown away by your compliment. Thank you very much. If you're ever in NY you are more than welcome to play it.

This was my first try at building an instrument. My life has changed drastically to the point where I need a new career. All of the compliments I've gotten here in TB and by my friends has got me thinking about going to lutherie school to learn more about building, repairs and setups. Ice even recently started a thread about that on TB.
    I've gotten some responses from people in the know and, unfilortunately, it seems like a hard way to try and earn a living.

Quantized Harmonic and jp58 like this.
  17. Yeah, I definitely bit off more than I could chew with that as my first build. I'm amazed I built a bass that plays how I wanted.

JustForSport and GKon like this.
  18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    bk50-1.
    bk50-2.

There isn't really much to say about this Carvin BK50 build. The factory finished the body in matte aged white. It took a number of coats of wipe on poly (50/50 poly/mineral spirits) and sanding to matte finish the neck. I had to call Carvin to send the string ferrules for the back of the body - they were omitted from the kit. Total time from unpacking to finished setup was about 2 days; I took my time with the neck finish.

19. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    It's a great feeling, isn't it? Way to go and good work!

eightyearsapril likes this.