Post your 4 string neck width preference!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 7, 2005.

Which 4 string neck width do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2005.
  1. 1.5" Jazz/Sterling etc

41 vote(s)
  2. 1.625" Precision/Stingray/Bongo etc

20 vote(s)
  3. 1.75" ??

2 vote(s)
  4. It's all good.

20 vote(s)
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Just curious to see how it falls out.
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm not quite sure I could even play a 1.75, do any basses really have this as an option or even the standard radius?

Just out of curiosity, do you think more people have less-than-standard neck spacing as in a Schecter or an Ibanez rather than a plus-size like a Stingray or a P?

P.S. I voted for 1.5
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love my sterling neck. Its perfect. same width as jazz but different profile.
  5. Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Definately 1.625. I would actually like the neck on my P-Bass to be a little bigger, not just in width, but in depth too. Me likes the big necks.
  6. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    The Alembic Signature and Series model basses have a 1.75" nut as standard with a relatively straight run of strings up the fretboard. Most of their other models are 1.625" at the nut and spread out wider as they approach the bridge. Of course, they will custom order just about any practical size.

I have played one of their basses recently that was 1.4" at the nut, and it was blazing fast if your fingers fit. Mine did.

I thought there were some Fender/MM models that were 1.75" at the nut, but maybe I was mistaken.