Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post your Avodire basses, suckas!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I love swamp ash and alder, they're tried, true and you can't go wrong with them in a well made instrument. However, each has tonal characteristics the other lacks. White limba seems to be attracting fans which are looking for an alternative (Chris Benavente using it pretty extensively) with some benefits of each.

I have an avodire Smith (with jazz style PU's) which is a terrific bass. Compared to my swamp ash LowEnd, it doesn't have the extended lows or live highs found in the LowEnd. However, it combines some of the best qualities of ash, alder and mahogany: 1. Upper mids suitable for slapping, similar to swamp ash but not as pronounced (growly) 2. Punch and finger-style focus which is extremely reminiscent of alder, with better note clarity 3. Tight, easily controlled lows, similar to mahogany.

I think this stuff is way underutilized, so I'll ask...anybody feel similarly about avodire and, if you feel the love, post your bass! I know for certain that my next custom will be built on the smooth foundation of avodire!

2. Please post pics of these. I saw a picture of an MTD with this wood for a top and was blown away!

3. I had a wenge/avidore MTD 535 for a while--awesome sounding bass, but I don't have any pictues anymore.

Mike

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    What was your take on the sound in the MTD? Similar to what I described above or different? I'm curious how the wood works in the designs of other makers. I think Smith probably uses it the most.

Will

5. Your description seems consistent with my experience, though I can only talk about my bass and not about avidore in general, since it's hard for me to separate how much of the sound was due to it having a wenge neck, or simply being an MTD and having Mike's special Bart electronics. But it was a slap monster, very responsive and percussive (my bandmates called it "The Jackhammer"), while still having a reasonable amount of warmth and low-mid fullness.

Mike

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mike,

That sounds similar to my bass IMO, but I agree there's no accounting for electronics and other woods. Mike T. knows wood so I'm sure he uses it in nice combos with other ingredients.

Will

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Here's a shot of the body of my MTD - flamed redwood over avidoire! Nice punchy, warm fingerstyle sound and a great slap sound, too.

[​IMG]

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Used to be FC's, correct?