Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post your basses serial numbers - for extra security - STICKY APPEAL!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Jan 14, 2006.

1. On the FenderUSA site you can register your basses serial numbers (for extra security if they get stolen) if you enter the zip code...well I live in the UK and so cannot do this as this is "open to usa residents only" which is extremely annoying for anyone with any Fender gear who lives outside the US - but then I thought about talkbass...everyone KNOWS how important it is to at least keep a couple of copies of your serial numbers in different locations...SO WHY NOT HAVE A PERMANENT THREAD to support that? - that way if you lose your serial numbers you can always check them here, or tell the cops to. (they're bound to like the "date" aspect of the posts so they will know you are not making it up and wasting their time) Also if your gear line-up changes, there is always the EDIT button to change it....

What you reckon mods? - any chance? ;) ;) :cool:

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    A better place for this would be a PM to a mod, or Paul's suggestion box.

3. I think posting the serial numbers on a public forum is a really terrible idea. Sorry. If you want you can PM me your SSN and PIN number, though. I'll keep it safe.

4. +1

Doing this would give ebay scamers a nice database of serial numbers, not to mention the people who make clones.

It would be better to make your own records and keep a copy on CD as well as a hard copy. If you wanted to make a data base with pictures and serial numbers and keep it online there are places you can get secure storage. You can also get free storage through free web hosting, although I am not sure if it would be secure.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep. bad idea.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 , you got that right.

7. DELETION APPEAL!

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    what you need to do is convert them to hex, and then substitute each number for their respective letter in the alphabet counting backwards. then you continue shouting that word every day until it sticks in your head.

then you wont need to waste money on CDs or paper for hard copies

:p

also, you live in sheffield? cool

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People just want to see their posts stickied to the top of the forum.

Gotta admit it, it's a quicker and easier way to get known than by posting useful and helpful information.:smug:

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So, why didn't you start the thread with all your instrument's serial #'s? :D

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and just say that it wasnt entirely well thought out...oh well, we're only human right?

12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    :eyebrow: No.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, who reads the stickies anyways? My bookmark to talkbass is todays new posts. I never see stickies, unless I *happen* to go into an actual forum...

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. OK - maybe it wasn't that great an idea, but you get my point surely...

Yo donutman - I don't believe it, another guy from Sheffield! (first one I've ever seen on here apart from me...) which band you in dude?