Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post your budget fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    And tell me what you like /don't like about it please!! I'm in the market for a fretless (4 or 5 string) but since I don't use one too often I don't want to spring for anything too "high-dollar"... Say something $300 ~ $1000 max...

What have you got and / or would recommend???

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have a carvin LB75F and a pic can be found in my sig. You can easily find one of these well within the price range you listed. Overall, the playabilty and construction is superb. One of the nicest playing instruments I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I did swap out the electronics in favor of an all bartolini setup, as I thought the stock carvin electronics were lacking. This was at least 5 years ago though, and I have no idea how the newer carvin electronics are. Over all, I think these basses are a huge score in this price range, and you would be very happy owning one.

3. My budget fretless is a MIJ Fender Jazz. It cost me $300 and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. It's quite light, feels good and sounds great.

4. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an old Vantage fretless bass, looks kinda like this one accept mine has a mahogany body and.. its fretless. I think it was like $250 shipped from Canada off the bay. I like the cool sound and its pretty sold, no marks or anything on the board and its in good shape, looks pretty cool too for such a cheap bass. Things I dont like is that it has some pretty bad neck dive, and I cant seem to get the innotation right (or maybe I just suck at fretless lol).

[​IMG]

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have a Yamaha BB5000AF which cost just under $700. This is a great bass as someone who owned it prior to me added a Bart soapbar in the bridge position.

I am thinking about moving it as I would prefer a 4 string, but it's a great bass.

Right now it's tuned E-C and there is a drop tuner on the E string.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Mark,

The mid-'80's MIJ fretless J Specials are really pretty decent if you're just looking to dabble with it here and there .... d*mn Lulls are probably spoiling the heck out of you, though, you may be ruined for life ..... ;)

I recently finished this rehab on a '68 Goya J knock-off, switched out the original neck and put a '70 Teisco fretless neck on .... plays and sounds fantastic, total $$ was < $300 for the bass, neck and covers (all on the 'bay) ... :cool:

[​IMG]

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

You were able to get this bass in completely finished form for less than $1000? If so, sweet!

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Yamaha BBN4F. Way cheap - about $250. Very playable and it sounds great.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I like it! :hyper: It looks sweet!

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cort B4FL (older model with the weird bridge)

I believe sticker price was $430 used but I got it as part of a trade deal

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL!! Yeah, they're sweet basses. However, I don't play enough fretless (or play one well enough ;) ) to want to spring for a Lull.. There are just a few situations in the band I play in that I'd like to use a fretless...

Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming!!

:bassist:

12. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    [​IMG]

She'll end up running me about 500 dollars, which won't be too bad for:
    new neck
    SD basslines
    Hipshot Vintage
    Schaller Tuners
    New pots and wire
    new pickguard
    straplocks
    ashtrays
    and maybe some other aethsetic componants

Greg

13. E=Fb

E=Fb Guest

Jan 28, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've got this Fernandes P/J fretless, early 90's MIJ (I think). Got it for 695AU, probably waay cheaper in the USA. I was looking for a fretless because I'm a double bass player, but I reckon it plays really well anyway......

Attached Files:

14. [​IMG]

Well I suppose I have a super budget Fretless. Stagg BC300FL, cost £129 if I remember correctly. It's fantastic for the money but it's obviously a bit too much of a budget Fretless in your case.:meh:

15. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    what is that and where can I get it for that cheap?!

16. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    [​IMG]
    I picked up this baby on eBay for around $360, shipped. It's an '01 Standard Fender Jazz Bass, with a Hipshot A-Style bridge. After a quick, post-shipping setup, it plays like a dream.

17. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I own a Carvin LB75F. I cannot recall how much I paid for it. The options are fairly basic, though. Like you, I do not play fretless very often.

Nevertheless, a basic Carvin B5F and Carvin LB75F can be purchase for $689 and $869, respectively, excluding the cost of shipping and a hardcase.

Ted

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My MTD Kingston is a great fretless bass, for $600 its a great deal.

19. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Carvin LB75F:

[​IMG]

picked it up for $525 used.