Post your cab configuration...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DudeistMonk, Jan 27, 2009.

1. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    What do you use for small gigs? Large gigs?

I ask because I thought I wanted a 4X10 (I'm sick of the muddiness of my 1X18 and I want more definition) but I realized rather quickly when trying out cabs yesterday that all the 4X10's just can't put out the clean lows at high volume.

So I'm on the hunt for a better speaker configuration that is still portable I was thinking 1X15 + 2X10...any other ideas? BTW, I play Classic Rock with a touch of Blues/Funk now and then.

Ps. Please excuse me if this thread has been posted 300 times before, I did search but suprisingly nothing came up.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    SWR 2X10, 4X10 and 4X8 cabs. Not gigging at this time but as they are 8 ohm cabs I can mix and match at will. Crown XTi2000 power amp, diff preamps depending on my mood.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I think that 115/210 setup would be great for what you're looking for. Also might want to check out some 12's. They get pretty low without getting muddy.

4. I biamp out of my head... much of which unit depends on the material and location.

1x12 + 1x12+tweet

OR

1x15 + 2x10

I'm downsizing from the dumb days I had a wall of cabinets.

5. i used to use an avatar b210 neo and a GK SBX-ii 115. I love nice lows, and have always used a 115 in my rig in the past because I didn't think smaller speakers alone could satisfy my low end desires.

now I use an ampeg 810e (USA model) and I am NOT looking back... the 810 sounds VASTLY superior.. it is punchier, obviously louder, warmer, and handles the lows SO much better than I expected (and i use a 5 string bass dropped tuned a halfstep...) It sounds SO good in a band mix, and now I understand the reason it has been an industry standard for so many years.

6. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I used a 4x10 / 1x18 setup for years, but the need for a one cab solution led me to my current 6x10.

I'm now looking for a small, second rig. A light weight combo is tempting.

7. I'm considering using a

1x12 + 2x8 in a single small cabinet (dual chambers)

Has anyone ever heard of this.. does it work?

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A good 6" midrange cone can easily keep up with a 12" woofer as long as it's crossed over properly.

9. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    2 1x12 cabs

i bring one for the smaller gigs/practices and both for anything else

10. I run a Peavey 4-10 & a Peavey 1-15, the result is bass that you not only hear but you feel it in your bones. The drummer doesn't worry about me in the monitor mix, I shake the drum riser! Both are powered by Peavey's Tour 700 head.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Must suck for drum micing.

12. i think youd dig 12" speakers. they can get low. very, very low. they cant (well, rarely) get muddy.

i have 2 1x12" cabs, and one 2x12" with a titanium bullet. i have to run 2 heads to power it all, but i prefer it like this. i can arrange them to be like your conventional two speakers on top two on bottom, or can stack vertically. i like putting one 1x12" on the floor with the 2x12" on top, to get a vertical stack of three, then the last 1x12" i put on the floor about a foot away from the other cabs, angled a little bit more toward the drummer.

any more power than that would be going into a PA of some sort. for less power id use either the 2x12" or 1x12" if need be. its a nice setup, unfourtunately very expencive, with the running two heads and all.

13. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    GK Backline 115 w GK RBX 210 Low end and decent highs from the 2 10s and the horn.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I use Acme B2 cabinets. One for a tiny gig or rehearsal. Two for the average gig stacked vertically and all four when I'm in the mood for it. They put out more bass than any 18 I've ever played through.

Paul

15. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I'll definitely give em em a spin this week, along with a few other configs.

Hopefully GC on rt22 will have a better selection than Sam Ash on rt. 22(the only brand they had a real selection of was harke and no 12" anything).

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Large rig is a 215 with 1100 watts, small rig is a 212 with 300 watts. Also have a 115/210 rig that's tasty, but underpowered, (the amp, 100 watts). If I were to only keep one, it would be the 212, for portability and volume in one package.

17. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I run an Avatar 112 for small to med. gigs. And a 212 for large indoor gigs. Large outdoor, I sometimes run both.

18. i play a 410HLF at practice. my main rig that i oh so love is an old 215. it kills the 410HLF, not so much in the low end department, but overall. i own a DIY 112 that i cant stand and a DIY 115 that i like a lot, i can only use it for other practices and small stuff.

19. avatar 2x12 on top of a yorkville 4x10.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Schroeder 310212, most gigs. For a bigger room I'll also add a 1212.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021