Post your favorite video game tunes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    For all you gamers here on talkbass, what are some of your favorite video game tunes. it can be from a retro video game(nintendo, sega, turbo grafx 16, etc.) or from a modern video game(xbox, playstation, nintendo wii u, etc). here are some of my favorites.

El viento- sega genesis

Valis: phantasm soldier- sega genesis

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Here's an epic v.g tune from an under-rated snes game.

Super valis 4- snes

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If there's some remixes of v.g tunes you like, feel free to post them here. here are some of my favorite remixes of mega man tunes.

Slash man sega remix

Metal man snes remix

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Here's some more mega man remixes I enjoy listening to.

Snake man snes remix

Dr. cossack level 2 sega genesis remix

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    So many great ones! In fact, I don't think I'd be into music quite the way I am now if it weren't for video games. Here are a few of ones that come to mind immediately for me:

I. Final Fantasy VI (US III)'s "Terra's Theme." You could tell this was going to be a good game from the very beginning, as it's also the intro score

(same score starting at 2:28)

II. Castlevania II Simon's Quest "Bloody Tears"

III. Mario 64 "Jolly Roger Bay"

IV. GoldenEye 64 "Dam." I don't think I could make a post on video game music without including this one

V. F-Zero "Silence." One of the first basslines I ever learned, actually. I'd dare say it's one of the basslines that made me pick up the instrument

VI. F-Zero "Big Blue." Dear god, this song blew my mind open when I was 6

VII. Sim City "Title." So good

VIII. Halo 2 "Theme." I can't leave this one out considering I put well over 500 hours into it. Best multiplayer mode EVER

Crystalman85 likes this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I like the soundtracks from the early Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.

-Mike

7. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I've always loved the Overworld Theme from Super Mario Bros. 2! Just listen to that jazzy 8-bit walking bassline :D

8. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Same. However, I consider them slightly different since they were real songs added to games, as opposed to songs written for games.

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, I see what you mean now.

As for actual game songs, I'd say Donkey Kong, Pacman, and TECMO Bowl. Jungle Hunt is good too.

-Mike

10. Don't know if anyone else has played it, but Illusion of Gaia on SNES had some great music.

And I gotta show some Megaman X love out there

And X2...

And just because its pretty much the best boss fight song ever:

unry666 likes this.
  11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Donkey Kong has awesome songs!

I don't disagree with you, either. The first two Tony Hawk Games had fantastic soundtracks, that were also influential to me.

12. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    My favorite game soundtrack is still the one from Mechwarrior 2.

elBandito likes this.
  13. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Oswego, New York
    Tetris

unry666 likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

You guys listen to Powerglove, right? I recommend you do if haven't already.

Lots of great mentions in here. I realize how big of a nerd I am by not needing to actually playback the videos to hear the songs...

15. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Tune? It's the soundtrack for the best rpg evah!

Many hundreds of hours listening to this

Toptube and ShredderMaximus like this.
  16. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis

17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Grim Fandango had some fine, moody cuts. Way before that, Castlevania - almost prog, in a beepy way. And the sad tune that played on the boss level of the original Wolfenstein was memorable.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  18. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    the problem is the elder scrolls game take so long to finish the soundtrack gets oring fast. fo b oth morrowind and Oblivion i made my own soundtrack (well put mp3's in the appropriate game folders) which was mainly tunes from the LOTR films and from the Conan films. fits perfectly. In fact i associate these tunes now more to The Elder scrolls games than the films they're taken from.

A super classic soundtrack:

I have mp3 of the tunes from this game but arranged for and played by an orchestra. It's amazing.

19. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    someone posted F zero which is classic but also:

some very good metal bass in this. I picked one or two basslines from this game back in the days. this was like the year i started playing i think actually when this was released. the one at 20:27 specifically i still occasionally play. It wasn't fast like most of the rest, there's a lot of really fat steady ones in there, back then i couldnt play them but i could now. would be fun to sit down and do that some time.

blip likes this.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

So much great music in games. I'm really fond of World of Goo. They caught a great Elfman atmosphere.

2 game soundtracks I frequently listen to : Unreal (perfect capture of the game's atmosphere) and ONI (techno jungle style, reminiscent of Joe's work with Nerve)

As for super old games, David Dunn's theme for Flight Path 737 has been in my head for the last 30 years.