1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post your funny old band photos

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 39Reasons, Jul 17, 2008.

1. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not too sure if this is the proper place for this thread but I do have my bass in the photo.:p I started a thread similar to this a while ago and was pretty funny. My mom dug out this photo of me from 1987 and I couldn't not share it it's just too classic. Still wish I took better care of this bass, was sold for parts back in the early 90's because I beat the hell out of it like a rookie moron.
    Enjoy!
    joebass1987-3.jpg

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's pretty good, I wore a Don Johnson jacket back then too. All my old photos are just that, old photos. Never digitized any of them, too funny though.

3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Are those sholder pads? Ha Ha, just kidding. Im only 33 so I missed out on the 80's gig scene. I do have a pic of me in 94 at a halloween party dressed up like shaggy, except I had a shaved head! I was playing my first real bass...a black Ric 4001 that is long gone :bawl:

4. is that a mullet :eek:

5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Are those two posters all ready to let rip, yet both unwilling to post their own photos?

6. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    nice rick tho dude

7. I wish, I was born in '89 :( :p

8. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I love the opportunity to make fun of myself, so I'll share with you the vicissitudes of the NYC rock scene and it's affect on the Lowbrow's goofy outfits and swingin' hairstyles, but at all times keep the focus clearly on the BASS I am playing in each old photo to keep this thread TOTALLY RELEVANT to TB. DISCLAMER: I admit that in the first pic I am 17 years old, and as such, technically underage to enter the club in which I am performing - the '70s were a different time, friends, as many a burnt-out oldster will tell you. I think the statute of limitations is in effect anyway.
    Here goes:

lowbrowmaxs.jpg
    1979, Max's Kansas City NYC, '76 Fender Mustang, Natural and Maple, Ramones Jacket

lowbrowirvingplaza.jpg
    1981, Irving Plaza NYC, 1980 Fender Precision POS, Wine Red, Clash 'tude, boots, and hairdo.

LABbones.jpg
    1987, on tour in L.A., 1982 G&L L-1000, singer appears mid sneeze, I appear mid-tour perma-drunk.

smlowbrowcbgbbw.jpg
    1990, CBGB NYC, 1967 Kay "Ballard," I think I saw Soundgarden a year earlier and started growing my hair...

smlowbrowcbgbcolor.jpg
    1992, CBGB NYC, 1962 Fender Precision (!) in custom "Calico" finish, Punk is re-born, I am re-shorn.

There you have it TBers. Did I mention I'm not a rock star yet? What I am is very, very tired. ;)

Lowbrow

9. Well, here's mine. The year was 1977 and I'm playing my Gibson Grabber in a jazz band at a concert we did at my local high school. I showed this to a co-worker and she said I looked like Tom Petty. :D[​IMG][/IMG]

10. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    That's me on the far left trying to look baad in the mid 80's. Sorry for the low rez pic

Attached Files:

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My friend Jeff has an old pic of our hair metal / butt rock band GIMMIX on his myspace page.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is a glorious mullet pulled back in a pony tail.

Listen to us play, love the ultra 1989 production! I play bass and keys and sing and co-wrote that song. Different drummer on the recording than in the picture. The bass is my Peavey Dyna-Bass 5 drenched in chorus. Welcome to 1991.

My late 90s band GUM!, with two brothers on guitar and vox. We played right at the entrance to the stadium before the local A league baseball team's game.
    [​IMG]

Here we are rockin' out in a bar in Fairfax October 1998.
    [​IMG]
    No idea what song we're playing but we sure are rockin'!

Listen to GUM. Not nearly as dated, but then it's only a decade old. Much better recording thanks to the fact that the same Jeff who played guitar in GIMMIX mixed it with his multi-platinum ears. I absolutely love the way I come charging in on the low B string on my Peavey Dyna-Bass 5 on this recording. My bass playing at the time was very influenced by Paul McCartney in his 5 string years - he was extremely liberal with the low notes, treated the fifth string exactly the same as all the other strings.

Best of all, here's me rocking out in my high school band the "Celler Dwellers" in 1984. That's a completely POS Aspen cheap P copy with a DiMarzio P pickup.
    [​IMG]

12. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Awesome keep em coming! Yes! that was a mullet! and I sure wish I still had that Ric! oh well:cool:

13. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
  14. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    See above - just HAD to add one of my all-time favorite instruments to my bassographical gallery - the G&L L-1000 I still own and cherish. :bassist:

Lowbrow

15. 39Reasons

39Reasons

Sep 16, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    oops! Didn't know there was another thread out there.:cool:
    Those are great!
    Here's another one of me with my Steinberger, I think this was 1989.
    877233536_l.jpg

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021