Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post your Light Weight Traveler rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Well there has been alot of Post your Rig threads, and quiet a few Light Rig's for city traveling / college questions- I thought why not combine the two?...

I'm after abit of inspiration for my lightweight travel rig- which will consist of a home made 1x12" and probably a GK 700RB II or an Eden WT400 eventually when it's finished... 1st Cuts to wood on the cab this week :bassist:

So come on folks- what do you carry to small, mid, large inner city gigs- take on public transport, or have sitting in you college dorm? How big is it, and how do you move it all?

...And lets not forget pics!

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Walter Woods Ultra and Bergantino HT112! :)
    Ultimate small rig.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Acoustic image focus SA---3.5 lbs, 600 watts
    Sans amp para driver DI--1 lb
    Ampeg portabass 1x10 cab--maybe 15-20 lbs?

So there ya go, a less than twenty five pound rig. Sounds very good if the volume isn't too high. Works very well for upright bass gigs

For bigger gigs I use an aguilar 1x12 and an avalon U5. For bigger still gigs i use a genz benz neo x 2x12. Bigger than that and I'm going into the PA

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Upright: Focus (3.5 lbs) and Berg HT112 (38lbs)

Electric: Eden WT-550 (16lbs), Epifani 110UL (22lbs), Epifani 112UL (30lbs)

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Ampeg Portabass 250 w/ any cab

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    here are two of my old ones, which happen to be photog'd in my old apt:

EA iAMP-350 + Berg HT112 = 50 lbs.
    [​IMG]

AI Clarus + (Epifani UL110 x 2) = 56 lbs.
    [​IMG]

7. Walter Woods and Epifani310UL (about 55 pounds total.... 1200 watts and smokin'!).

8. A Epifani 502 amp with one or two Epifani 1x12UL's :)

9. That little Epifani rig looks good :cool:

10. My lightweight rig is a 400RB and an EV 215. From there it just gets bigger. :cool:

11. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    GK1001RB + Epifani AP-210

12. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    My little rig of doom. Good enough even for outdoor gigs!
    Usually being on the floor but this time there was a hollow wooden stage so I raised it.

[​IMG]

13. Elliott

Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I got the same rig as Nemo. Schroeder 1212 and Eden 400WT. With the amp in a bag over my shoulder, a bass on my back and the cabinet in my hands, it is one trip from car to stage! :bassist:

Plus it is cute as a button! :)

14. Got a Mesa Walkabout and a GK Neo 112 cab, but Ill be switcing that out for a Schroeder 12+ soon probably.

Carry head and bass in one hand, cab in other. One trip. Awesome.

Course, I have kinda big hands so you might not be able to do the bass and amp in one hand.

15. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    THis thread interests me....we're thinking about designing an 80 watt tube combo amp for bass; should be suitable for the jazz quintet or string band; EURB, URB, or fretless....

I'm thinking we could bring it in around 50 lbs. and less than 3 cubic ft(24" X 20" X 12" give or take a few...)

Our guitar amp, based on a pair of EL34's for the output(to my ear, more musical than 6L6's or 6550's)...came in at 32 lbs. in a combo. I'd probably use a 15" and a 4" cone for the bass amp, although the 2x10 could work...it might be a bit heavier....

Any comments?

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Joker, I was just thinking about this picture today. How much of a difference did the Demeter tube DI make in the signal?

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool, dave.

i'm not a fan of 15" speakers. thought about a nice 12"? still, keep us posted on its evolution.

at home, it added a nice juicy feel, but on gig, i couldnt really tell the diff, especially thru the effects loop. oddily when used out in front of the preamp before the input, i could tell more of a tubier sound, tho my SIB Fatdrive actually made for a more squishier tube sound.

yet thru the PA, soundmen and myself were VERY pleased with the Dem. in the end, however, i just left the Dem at home for safety's sake. nearly had it squashed by an errantly placed guitar combo. :meh:

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I bought a used SWR WM12-i believe it weighs about 50 pounds. I'll be there [college] in just over a month.

19. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'm auditioning for a Dallas band soon and I'm actually more excited at just the fact I have an excuse to show up somewhere with only a 210, then playing with the band.* :D

[​IMG]

GK 700RB-II (16 lbs)
    GK SBX-II 210 (50 lbs)

*haven't heard enough of the band yet.

20. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mesa WalkAbout + EA Wizzy = 300w, 42# goodness.