Post your most unused bass that you won’t let go of- therapy time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellobud, Dec 5, 2021.

1. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Mine is a semi-hollow Ibanez.
    It never makes it into the gig bag anymore and collects dust on my wall. Help me let go of it…(Pic below was from college…15yrs ago) Picture005.jpg

tindrum, mb94952, evilfirbolg and 8 others like this.
  2. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    My first bass, a 1977 Precision, never gets played out. Sounds fantastic but weighs a ton. I did record with it recently but I don't gig it anymore. It's the only one of my Precisions that's all original. No therapy required; this one stays with me until my son wants it. He's a much better bassist than I anyway.

Second from right:
    quints.jpg

In action at the Pyramid Club, NYC circa 1988:
    Citizens.jpg

3. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Got into fivers and sold the fours, but kept this one for sentimental reasons, and I feel I should have a four-string in the house. ~05 MIM, Midnight Wine, DR Jonas Hellborg sig strings, HipShot D-tuner. :)

Attached Files:

4. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Do you ever pull it off the wall?

5. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    It comes off once in a while. I, or someone comes over and wants to play with it. It's a great bass. :)

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    My Ibanez Talman TMB605 . i like my Jazz basses tones better than the Ibanez but if I need a bass that I will hear every note in any mix this bass is the one . I recently had it for sale in the classifieds but took it to a practice and was reminded of it's cut through sound . Great lows and highs and a very middy tone . Can't/won't sell it . 20210221_111814.jpg

7. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I have an eye on a Peavey T-40. If I have a few (hundred) bucks after Christmas, I’m gonna buy it and let it live on my guitar boat. I wouldn’t play it out. Too much heft and too few strings. But I’d love to give a T40 a nice home.

8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Check my avatar, shamefully doesn't get played much, going nowhere.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

OK; answer this question. If you got rid of it, could you replace it fairly easily if you wanted to? If the answer is "YES", then - sell it off. But, if the answer is "NO"? Then, I have to say - welcome to my world. My least used bass - which, out of 23, is a pretty good trick - is a '94 Gretsch Broadkaster. Because of a bad accident, it's painfully hard to get my plucking hand around it's big hollow body (it's actually a G6119 Tennessean guitar with a longer 4-string neck) and play for more than a few minutes. And, until I found strings that didn't sound like mud, it hardly got played at all - even before the accident. So, why don't I get rid of it? Couple of reasons. For one, with TI Jazz Rounds on it, it now sounds like a real bass guitar. For another, exercises have lessened the playing pain - a little. But, the main reason it ain't going anywhere? I'm a lefty that can not play right handed (yeah, I know that your 2nd cousin's girlfriend's brother can; here's a newsflash for ya - not every lefty can do it, too), and this Broadkaster is the ONLY lefty Gretsch bass I've ever seen - that wasn't a '50s custom or a conversion. And I've been looking for another one for... oh, the last 30 years or so. If I was foolish enough to get rid of it, I have no doubt that I'd want it back. And, at 70, I really, seriously, don't think that I'd live long enough to find another one....:whistle:

10. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    This. 2013 MIJ Classic Series 70’s Jazz. Ordered it straight from Tokyo, Japan. The sound, color, and vibe is all there, my growliest jazz ever, and I’ve owned a lot. Used for 2 years as my main player, then I discovered P basses after 19 years using only jazz basses.

1.5” nut width will no longer do since finding 1.75”nut width necks that I prefer now.

image.jpg

11. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    I just sold it a couple weeks ago, but it WAS a Geddy Lee MIM Jazz. Bought it last year for a one-off Rush tribute show that never happened bc of COVID.

Great guitar, don't get me wrong, but I picked it up as many times as I could count on one hand when I had it. I'm too set on playing 5 string.

The Alien Audio 5 in the pic gets a LOT of use, even if I'm just plunking around without a gig.

EDIT: I realize part of the reason for thread was to post basses you WOULDN'T get rid of, so shame on me bc I can't follow rules. :laugh:

IMG-0914.jpg

tindrum, FilCo and funkinbottom like this.
  12. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Well, I just posted it to Craigslist. We’ll see if I can follow through.

sonojono, rafunk and Tanner5382 like this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Three Dean Exoticas.
    I play the black one all the time but the blue one's in a case.
    I won't sell the blue one but I might sell the quilted ash...or give it away.
    FB-IMG-1620429184285.jpg

14. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Father and son pic. I'm on the right with my '79 Peavey T-40. I bought this new and it was my first decent bass. It was my only bass for about 20 years. It has its fair share of of nicks and gouges, but the due to the satin finish, it still looks good from 20 feet. It has left the house twice, but each time found its way back home. It won't be leaving again. It is seen in public occasionally, but is no longer in my first group of first-call basses.
    20150124 peavey t-40s Bob and Kevin-cropped_small.jpg

15. Medbo_BassBoy

Medbo_BassBoy

Nov 19, 2019
    Wyoming
    My first bass (jazz on right)does not sound bad my any means just not better/different from my other axe.
    D910DCF9-024C-447B-B230-A1B4F63D3083.jpeg

16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I rarely play it, but I mean, just look at it. You wouldn't sell it either.

Penelope.JPG

17. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I would not sell it. You are correct.

thunesBARROW and Killing Floor like this.
  18. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    The red one 20210817_140529.jpg

Benj-jammin likes this.
  19. BassToGoGo

BassToGoGo

Jul 14, 2018
    This one here (not mine but a picture of what it looks like)... l7xf7xkok9nm0xdhza1k.jpg

My Washburn BBR B-20 bass. I wanted on for the longest time, finally found one about five years ago. Such a cool looking bass but it suffers from neck dive, worse that any other bass I have ever owned. To play it with a strap you actually have to support the neck with your left hand while playing.

Still I love it and I would never sell it.

A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a picture of a factory built headless Washburn BBR B-20 bass (!)...
    It was located in the UK and it is currently in transit to me. I will post a NBD when it arrives.

JettBlaq, knumbskull, Dec1975 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Wish I could contribute but when I'm not using something anymore I'm unnaturally compelled to sell. I blame my cramped living conditions. In a perfect world with more space, I'd love to have basses setting around everywhere whether I play them or not.

JettBlaq and kesslari like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022