1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Post your old/stupid band pics!! (the more embarrassing the better) Part 2!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Vic, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    1991, No beard! No belly! No bass head! Hardly a bass body!!!
    Can't believe it's me!!!

2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    A backyard Bicentennial party. July 4, 1976. Played that EB-0/Ampeg V4B rig for many years. :thumbsup:

Grant 1976.jpg

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Lydels photo.jpg

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

I don't believe I've shared this here yet. This is an original band in 1988.

------------------------------------------------
    This is Brad's description: My first band after arriving in L. A.in the 1980s was formed with my brother Rick. Originally we were called "Likely Story" and we sounded like most of the progressive new wave rock bands of that time. We had just started calling ourselves The Stubbs Brothers. Soon we would make the switch to performing as an original country rock group with hopes of getting more respectable gigs. We played all over L.A with shows @ the Palomino, Al's Bar, the Ice House, The Gaslight, Madame Wongs etc. This song was videotaped by Gary McMane at "The Central" (later called the Viper Room) on Dec 9 ,1988 and featured our favorite lineup of the band with Cliff Saunders on bass and the great Al Waddington (Unforgiven) on drums. Rick wrote this very cool song and let me sing it. This shows the band at their peak - I forgot how good we were.
    -------------------------------------------------

We used to rehearse at their house, all three brothers lived together at the time not too far from me. It was a blast. They are great musicians and wrote fun material. We still keep in touch.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008

OK, as long as were sharing. This was late fall 1981, shot at the historic Old Log Theater

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Scott!

Hey! I didn't know you were almost famous! :) That's some good pop-rock there. Really nice lick into the solo section. Great work.

BassCliff

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    That was like forever ago. We never had the MTV at our house so friends would always tell me ... Hey ! saw you last night on the MTV. Honestly I never saw this until a few years ago on youtube, and of course I was horrified and somewhat melancholy peering back through the ages , wish I still had that waist line

nixdad, dbase, mwbonsall and 2 others like this.
  8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Insect Affect circa 1987 @ Madame Wongs in L.A. I played guitar back then but occasionally doubled on bass.

nixdad, dbase, jeffbrown and 6 others like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We were all so young and good looking back then. Well, most of us anyway. :p

That's a pretty groovy track. :) Seeing the vintage gear is cool. Thanks!

BassCliff

Bunk McNulty, nixdad, dbase and 2 others like this.
  10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Thanks man!

Here's a brand new revamped version of that song with different lyrics

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Good stuff! Very nice work! :)

BassCliff

The Owl likes this.
  12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'll see your 80's and take you back to the 60's
    Tensions best 2.jpg

13. My first band, me on the right. Two in the middle died.

auntedna.jpg

14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    With everyone digging out pics from the past, here are some I received from a bandmate yesterday.

Pics are from 1982 of our rehearsal space at the time, located above a garage at a relative's house where a business had previously been.
    Three rooms in total - entry, main rehearsal room and engineers room. We covered the walls of the rehearsal room in egg crates which was a cheap way to attempt to sound proof. We called this location "Egg Crate 2" as the was the 2nd location where we had used this method (the first was a small bedroom at our lead singer's house.) The band started in '79, so I believe these photos are with drummer #3.

Since it was upstairs I had a rig which remained at the studio which comprised an Acoustic head driving a JBL Cabaret 15 stacked on a Gollehon 15 folded horn cab.
    The bass was a stripped 1961 stack-pot Jazz Bass that I had bought from Norman's Rare Guitars. The second bass in the corner may have been a '62 P-Bass, but I can't be sure (finding Pre-CBS instruments in the Recycler or newspaper was easy at the time.)
    EggCrate_II_Mark_Chris_Pat.jpg

Better picture here of the '61 Jazz.
    EggCrate_II_LCR_Band.jpg

I'm fortunate to still be playing with both guitar players and the lead singer all these years later.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Bunk McNulty, osv, dbase and 11 others like this.
  15. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Three drummers in three years. You went through drummers like Spinal Tap. :D

That must be Patrick. The same big smile. :)

nixdad and kobass like this.
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Grant -
    Believe me, Spinal Tap hit home for us in several ways:
    1) We actually had at least 7 drummers within the first 6 years of the band. Luckily the drummer who joined the group in ‘85 was the last one (after 41 years the original group now only plays 1-2 gigs annually.)

2) The drummer pictured in the studio shots was a nice guy, but he had the girlfriend from hell. She thought she should be included in band meetings and have a say in our decisions (needless to say, it was HELL NO to both.) She also had a friend who worked at a video store (remember those?) and unsolicited, loaned 2-3 videos out to the band which were all returned timely. Little did we know this was all a set-up to get the band to play her friend’s wedding for free.
    Can I get another “HELL NO?!?”

3) Big Bottom. Enough said! :roflmao:

Yep, the smiling face is Pat.

fretter, Bunk McNulty, McG and 6 others like this.
  17. We found that the trick was to find a drummer who owned a van.... regardless of their drumming ability, finding a drummer that owned a van was more of a priority for my band back in the 1990's! :roflmao:

Bunk McNulty, McG, The Owl and 3 others like this.
  18. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    The Owl likes this.
  19. factory presets

factory presets

Mar 3, 2020
    Photos are all gone. Best I can do is a commercial release from YouTube. Most of the embarrassing has been edited out. But you can still see how seriously we took ourselves by the facial expressions.

Saxly no sax player. Gone on holiday with her majesty.

Sparker1987, fretter, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  20. factory presets

factory presets

Mar 3, 2020
    Oops forgot about this one. Actual photos.

nixdad, delta7fred and kobass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021