1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post your old/stupid band pics!! (the more embarrassing the better) Part 2!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Vic, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Many years after that record was on the radio, I used to still see it in lots of venues on jukeboxes. It has become a collector record on ebay and other places and sells across the country. I have even seen it sold for $43.00.

I still have a box of them plus jukebox tags. I should start selling them. :roflmao:

kobass, Eli_Kyiv, Ayce and 1 other person like this.
  2. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    I evently found a CD of my band on Rakuten selling 35€!
    When we toured, we used to sell them for 10€!!!
    :roflmao:
    Screenshot_20210107-004151_Samsung Internet.jpg

osv, Jimmy4string, Eli_Kyiv and 4 others like this.
  3. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Excellent. That would be great!!

I have one old band from '98 that I got royalties on for 16 years. Big Kat Kaylor and The Jacuzzi Blues Band.
    https://www.amazon.com/Scattered-Big-Kat-Kaylor/dp/B000000PC4

Richland123, kobass and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  4. Wait a minute.......back around 1990-ish there was a band that practiced in the room next to us named "Lickety Split". You guys weren't in Tacoma, WA, were you? :eyebrow:

Anyways, here's my "Old Stupid Band" photo. Some time around 1989, I think, our very first show ever, at a local park on a flatbed truck -
    Spanaway Lake Show.jpg

osv, Jimmy4string, McG and 4 others like this.
  5. Amano

Amano

May 5, 2015
    Planet earth
    2001 Me on bass. Still have the bass.

0_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=CQ_tJ3c0zO8AX8otn47&_nc_ht=z-p3-scontent-amt2-1.jpg

6. Well, this is a hoot.

An old school friend just sent me a link to an online PDF scanned version of my 1977 high school yearbook. The picture quality is as bad as that description makes it sound (which is terrible), but I would have been 16 in these pictures, so they are the earliest photos of me playing live.

HSband01.png

HSband02.png

Top, left: Me (background, bass), Andrew (lead singer, went on to play in a number of NZ bands, including Pop Mechanix and Coconut Rough), Roger (rhythm guitar).
    Top, middle: Roger, Andrew, me (at the back), Mark (lead guitar, went on to play in a number of NZ bands, including Blam Blam Blam, Big Sideways and Coconut Rough).
    Top, right: Me, playing what appears to be a sunburst Fender copy. I have no memory of this bass - I wish there was a better picture of it. I thought my first ever Fender copy was a lawsuit-era Ibanez Jazz bass in a natural finish.
    Bottom, left: Roger, me (background, apparently wearing a cheese cutter-type cap that I can only imagine would have been very unfashionable at the time), Andrew.
    Bottom, right: Roger, me (background), Mark, Ian (drummer, went on to play in a number of NZ bands, including The Crocodiles and The Swingers).

While the first four pictures were taken when we played at a school assembly, the last one was the night we were the band for the end of year senior dance. We all wore makeup (except Ian) and we all looked pretty stupid (except Ian).

7. @whero these are classics! In that bottom right -is that you looking like Bowie? I am thinking that person is in front of you.
    I like the make up angle -hey i am all about the show!
    :)

whero and kobass like this.
  8. Yeah, I'm at the back with a stripy top and an Aladdin Sane-inspired makeup job. It wasn't the lightening bolt shape but definitely had the red and blue colours on one side of my face.

From memory, Mark (in front of me, with the white face and black eyes), was inspired by the "high contrast" Lou Reed Transformer album cover and Andrew, our vocalist (who isn't in that shot) had eye makeup that looked a lot like Alice Cooper's.

Here's a crowd shot from that same school dance - proof I've been making girls dance since 1977 :roflmao::
    upload_2021-1-19_12-29-48.png

9. Tom Kinter

Tom Kinter Supporting Member

This is such a cool thread!
    Hey, I found this backstage shot from Sept. 1967, our band "Random Factor" playing at a Catholic HS dance (I remember because there was one very hip nun there who nixed "Love Potion #9" and "The Hump"). Plus the playlist might be amusing to you elder TB folks... interesting (or not) side note: I remember the band broke up over a song on this list (most of us going into our sr. year of HS): "The Letter". We got into a fatal fight over "The Letter" vs Moby Grape's "Omaha", so right after this date, Curt, the excellent guitarist I'm tuning up with in this view, and I quit and formed a new band (we were the "Omaha" faction).
    1967_Random_Factor_1.jpg RandomFactor_1967_playlist01.jpg RandomFactor_1967_playlist02.jpg

10. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Great set list!

McG, Jimmy4string, Tom Kinter and 2 others like this.
  11. Wow @Tom Kinter I would like to see that set performed now.
    I bet you got some good ol stories!

McG and Tom Kinter like this.
  12. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Not that old, but these guys and I started playing together in jr high and then in 79 put together The Elk River Band was semipro until 93
    And we still get together every month and jam with the occasional open jam
    They are my oldest and dearest friends
    Jim, Joe,& John on drums
    Duke
    0A9F7239-5498-4528-B915-012179C5C0AE.jpeg 127259E4-DA29-488E-AF4F-5DF061F4394C.jpeg 89AC9AA3-BDD5-44C4-8A32-E444D13CEBEF.jpeg 18860026-5581-4E24-9E05-7531623C065C.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  13. Tom Kinter

Thanks! We tended to prefer "B" side covers!

The Owl likes this.
  14. Tom Kinter

I wish I did. It's funny, the band there for a couple of years just seemed like the normal thing to be doing while one was in HS, this was around Elmira, NY and I would say we were probably about the #3 rock group thereabouts at that time (#3 at least partially because we only played what we liked, no "snoopy & the Red Baron" BS. We all had families that basically expected us to be working part time by 16, so the band usually had two gigs a week plus a practice. Good manager! Now in those days a crapola part time job was at best $1.25 an hour, and we were netting say $40 a week each for the 2 gigs. 8 hours, not counting the schlepping. So it kept the 'rents mollified and we all got pretty decent & loved it. In retrospect, we were actually pretty professional about it, and besides we were all too much straight arrows (at that time), for there to BE good stories. This was, relatively speaking, the sticks at that time. Back when there was a 'sticks'. Best gigs were adult parties (big tips, married women: high, sexy, and digging the band); one summer we had a weekly Sat. noon gig at the big old Capitol Theater in Elmira, doing 4 numbers down in the pit to a full house of teens, before the movie. That was cool - in and out of there. The stories were in the other parts of my life - the band was just in the groove, at least for a while.

15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Lickety Split 1978

The band was formed with several members of well known Johnstown, PA area bands. The lead guitarist was from a band called Kindred Spirit that had a couple hit records. We were very unique that we had four lead singers and lots of harmony vocals. This original lineup of the band did very well and had a 45 record out a few months after forming. The band stayed together for seven years but went through a bunch of lineup changes. The lead guitarist and I were the only two members for the entire seven years.

upload_2021-1-23_14-44-40.png

upload_2021-1-23_14-44-55.png

Attached Files:

16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA

Hopefully this looks a bit closer to how you remember it. upload_2021-1-23_14-44-55.jpg upload_2021-1-23_14-44-40.jpg

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Hey, thank you for cleaning up those old photos. They sure did fade over time. They look like I had a sepia tone filter on them. :thumbsup:

StereoPlayer, roccobass, Ayce and 2 others like this.
  18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    You're most welcome! I have a couple photo editing apps on my phone that most of the time can fix a faded pic.

Those old matte finish photos start fading to red over time, the emulsion on the paper breaks down slowly.

delta7fred, kobass and roccobass like this.
  19. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California

Owl...Now that’s a real TB bonifide
    photo finish if I’ve ever seen one! :D

kobass, The Owl and Richland123 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021