Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post Your Pedalboard - Part I

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Chancellor, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A lot of people are talking here and giving advice, but show us what your signal chain looks like.

The Chancellor

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Not all that long ago, I thought pedals to be kind of
    "superfluous" and for space-cases-Look at me now!
    I have (2) BOSS BCB-3 pedal cases that contain-
    1)The Bass Synth-Mostly for foolin' 'round, but I also fnd that by using the "wah" effect" with the sensitivity/decay turned all the way down, I eliminate the "wah" and get a hot signal that gives me a nice treble boost & punch. The other sound waves range from "of interest" to "whaaaaaa?"
    2) The BF-2 Flanger can be either extreme, or used to add a nice whirling resonance that when judiciously applied, can work on a ....jazz bassline!
    That's right, jazz, & I do not mean fusion-believe me!
    I also use it on some ballad work, R&B based, and trust me, the crowd does dig it.
    3) LMB-3-Limiter/Enhancer takes care of compression and adds a very nice clarity to the overall tone.
    4)The Chorus is somewhat redundant to the Flanger, a little less intense, and when dialed in, also adds a roundness & effect to the mix.
    5) The OBD-3 overdrive has not been used by me in performance as of yet. For one, I have full tube heads I can utilize for od, plus not really my thing. Bought it 'cause I had $$ burning a hole...
    However, in the few times I've fiddled with it at home, it does have potential and could in varying degrees be embellishing.
    6) Finally, the GEB-7 eq is excellent for adjusting your tone in the mix-Cutting/raising the spectrum and overall boost/cut is a very nice tool. It's a pretty powerful little pedal.

In addtion, I use a Yamaha NE-1 parametric eq-
    I put it at the tail end of the 'chain to darken the midrange if desired, or by itself, with my Boogie all-tube combo, independent of effects- organic tube sound, no pedals, just a little bite removed from the midrange.
    Along with my (new) Tobias Renegade and its great Bartolini's and TC-7 pre, there is a world of tones-almost overkill, but a helluva lotta fun.

BTW, I've chosen BOSS, there are many other pedals that do the same processing, with their own voicings I am sure.

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    mine goes bass -->black cat bass octave fuzz (soon to be replaced by a zvex woolly mammoth)--> keeley baked ts9dx--> rastop designs ring modulator (soon to be replaced with a moogerfooger) -->boss dd-6

but 90% of the time i'm just using the ts9dx.

4. EBS OctaBass - EBS BAssiQ - EBS Multicomp - Boss CEB3 chorus - Boss BF2 Flanger. Since I built a small patchbay I can easily switch the order of effects if I want to, very handy since the pedals are bolted to the pedalboard.

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    SteveK:

Could ou describe/give some info on the
    keeley baked ts9dx?

New to me; sounds very provocative!

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Mine's simple, but effective, and it's all I need.

Ibanez TR500 basss --> Boss CEB-3 bass chorus --> EHX Big Muff Pi --> Dunlop Crybaby Bass --> Fender BXR100 combo amp

It does what I need it to do, and it does it well, and (the pedals) all cost me less than $100.

It is great buying used gear :)

7. My pedalboard is extremely simple: EBS MultiDrive :p

My signal chain looks like this:
    Bass -> EBS Multidrive -> Behringer BX1200 (Yamaha GC2020C Compressor/Limiter in effects loop in a Limiter -> Compressor setup)

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    <table><tr><td valign=top>[​IMG]</td><td valign=top>My effects toys have kind of gotten out of hand. The compressor is always on, the other pedals only get used for a few songs. The MXR Phase 90 is a new addition, I'm experimenting with fretless and phaser, it may actually work if not overused.

It may look impressing, but I'm normally only using the compressor and the tuner for 90% of the time.

The guitarists don't like me having a bigger pedal board... :)</td></tr>
    <tr><td valign=top>[​IMG]</td><td valign=top>I'm always experimenting, but here is the current setup:

The LS-2 is mostly in the Bypass/A/B mode, giving clean/serial-loop/tuner. For most effect use I put it in Bypass/Mix mode, giving clean sound or an adjustable mix of clean and effects.

The SansAmp is not part of the efx loop, it's only affecting the PA sound.

:embarrased-icon-here:</td></tr>
    </table>

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Anders,

very nice board!

just curious, what kind of power supply do you use? I noticed the power lines connected to each pedal, but I didn't see a power supply. Is it built into the board?

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Morgan Miller Bypass box

EBS Multidrive

Boss OC-2 Octave

Ibanez SB-7 Synthesizer Bass

Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Signal Flex PS-9 AC / DC power supply

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    (Re: power supply) I just use a regular wall wart (from EBS). I have however made a "mini multi-cable" (just a couple of cables in shrink tubing), and one of those carry 9 volts so I can plug the wart in behind the amp. The exception is the SABDDI which is phantom powered from the mixer.

12. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i dont have a structured set up of pedals. i use the ones only when i need them (some are just for screwing around on). im looking for a Boss LS-2 if anyone has one for sale.

Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss V-Wah
    Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
    EH Bass Balls USA
    Danelectro Hash Browns Phase Shifter
    EH Big Muff USA

Thats all for now

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    larry,

the keeley baked ts9dx is an ibanez turbo tubescreamer ts9dx modified by robert keeley for more bass and overall kick ass tone. check out his page under "over the top baked mods" for more info. http://members.aol.com/audio6l6/KeeleyTS9.html

it's a great overdrive/distortion pedal. it is very versetile and full sounding. it goes from slight overdrive to full on speaker ripping distortion.

-steve

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Usually nothin'
    Sometimes though I bring my Boss SE-70 for synth, chorus, ocatve, and reverb sounds. I am seriously jonesing for a V-bass from Roland, though.

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    After exorcising effects from my rig I've gone back to them recently in a big way, currently this is what I have:

Bass-->Akai Unibass-->Ibanez Tube King-->Dunlop 105Q Wah-->Boss CEB3 Chorus-->Alesis 3630 Compressor-->Amp

Right now I am lusting after a variety of EH effects, so this may need editing...

16. mine is very simple. it goes:
    bass>>boss ns-2>>amp

i have an ebs unichorus (one of the old grey ones) and a sabine stx-1500 tuner in the loop of the ns-2.

17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Wow-
    Thanks, VERY interesting, very cool too.
    I'm looking at the compressor combo....nice....

18. ProCo Rat,Crybaby,boss-flange,chorus,delay,eq,PSA-1

I can play FX............if only I could play bass:cool:

19. Here is the current setup.

20. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    hey Imnotgeddylee, how is that moogerfooger filter? worth the price tag?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.