Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Post your practice routine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by akuma12, May 5, 2005.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd be curious to see what you all do during your regular practice routines. Note what you cover, how long you spend on things, and how long you practice overall. Also, I'd be curious to know if you're a professional, semi-pro, amateur, or hobbyist.

I myself am currently just a hobbyist, or professional woodshedder as I like to put it :) I don't have much of a set routine yet, as I'm just getting back into playing after a few years off. Right now I just run scales in various patterns, and play classical tunes to try and get my chops and reading skills back up to par.

Just curious to how you all get to where you're at skill wise. Thanks, and have fun!

Jim

2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    well what i do is really what i feel like most of the time, but more importantly what i NEED to work on like timing, slap grooves, scales - usually do that for about 25-30 min then take 10 min break or so then work on my project stuff with my bands songs/ personal writing/lyrics and melodies to them/covers we want to play for about another 25-30 min
    then after it is all done i work on what i want to do....currently learning - pigs (three different ones) freakin love that CD

main thing is take frequent breaks and use a lot of variation

bass it up and boogie down!!

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don't have an actual routine right now. But I always go through the Pacman scale method and double thuming, every day. I do try to find songs to learn or something.

4. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Scales for 30-60 minutes. Then I'll record triple stops (root 3 7) on my tape deck to a bop head and practice the melody, soloing, and walking over that. I can have fun practicing like this for hours and I've been making heaps of progress.

5. I usually practice for 30-60 minutes in the morning before I go to work. I like to run some scales and work on whatever song I'm trying to learn at the moment. Beyond that, its just a matter of where I am or what I'm doing. If I'm bored and there's a bass/guitar around, I'll pick it up and start jamming around.