Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Posture

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Has anyone noticed how good posture while playing bass, contributes to better technique? I seem to notice that I'm getting under the neck better and playing with much less left hand fatigue. I also tend to hold the neck higher with my body which frees my left hand to play, instead of support.
    I'm called upon to do a fair amount of solos and I play a P-Bass, so this has really helped.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey T Jay, have you noticed how different basses affect your posture?? I've been playing a P-Bass almost exclusively for the past three years and have gotten quite used to it. My Epiphone Jack Casady arrived today just in time for a five hour gig. Even though it's lighter than the P, it's going to take some getting used to. The strap button at the base of the neck tilts the bass away from my body slightly. Not a bad play, just different. I feel like I've been worked over pretty good!

-robert

3. Robert,
    I just won't play an uncomfortable bass for a long gig, even if it sounds good. I end up with horrible technique, playing things that are comfortable instead of musical, and being totally frustrated.

I have a Yamaha BB1000 which is quite heavy and has a huge neck, which is somewhat uncomfortable, but I make an exception and play it where I sit on a stool for the gig. It has this big, fat, rich, warm tone that just fills the room. I don't take this one to a "stand up" gig 'cause my back won't take it.

By the way, where do you play? I'd like to come out.

T Jay

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey T... Sorry that I didn't reply sooner. Tonight and tomorrow, we're at the Holiday Inn over in Wilsonville, (somehow I can really relate to Drew Carey!)... Next Friday, we're at Finnegan's Mill here in the bustling metropolis of Newberg, on 99W. I was going to give directions to Newberg, but then I remembered that all roads lead here anyway! :D

Have you got anything coming up in the near future? Lemme know... I'd love to come out if I'm free...

C'mon up and say hey if you get a chance...

-robert