1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pot active/passive knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seamus bass, Apr 22, 2009.

1. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    i have a 91 pedulla mvp with what i believe is a mb-1 bartolini preamp in it this bass has a active/passive blend know which i have never seen before this bass, i thought they were always switches or push/pull.i want to make it into a tone knob but my set-up guy said he tried and i would have to get a new preamp for that to work. sound correct?

2. active/passive blend? Maybe I'm missing something, but that doesn't make sense. it's either in active mode or it's not... what would you be blending? It's like saying your car starter is a blend... it's either on or off, it can't blend.

3. So its panning between the active and passive circuit outputs?
    I really don't see the purpose for such a feature. For one, the EQ on the preamp would only effect the active side, while the passive side will remain unshaped.

Usually you want either passive or active only.

4. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    from what i understand this wasthe predecessor of the active/passive switch. it wascommon on early pedullas
    3 knobs
    1 volume
    1 pick-up blend
    1 active/passive blend its weird i know and i feel im actually not getting the full tone out of my bass, hence the wanting to replace the knob
    but my tech guy said its rigged that way with the preamp so if i wanted to change the know to a tone know or anything for that matter i would have to change the preamp.

5. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    ok correction its a tc-4 preamp and its labeled as a active "presence"/passive blend thats weirder than i thought