1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pot configuration?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thaibassman, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thaibassman

Thaibassman Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Thailand
    Hi, I have a passive, 4 string P/J with the standard 3 pot J-esque configuration = V//V//T.
    Can anyone offer advice/recommend any out of the box solution for the following modification:
    stack pot volume and PU pan // tone // tone
    What cap values/ brands should I consider for the P and the J pickups
    Many thanks!!

2. You won't find a concentric pot that does Volume & Balance/Pan, because a Balance pot is already double-ganged.

Two treble cut (tone) controls is kind of pointless unless you put in a 3-way pickup selector switch.
    They just interact with one another (summed) when both pickups are selected.

If you're going to do it that way, I'd suggest using a Lester Polsfuss (Les Paul) diagram:

042ce80dc00734003b03cfdac826476b.
    To keep it simple you could have one concentric pot handle volume & treble cut for one pickup.
    In the Les Paul style configuration you can gain a bit of independence between the treble cut knobs if the volumes are not dimed.

If you want to retain a lot of brightness use 22 nF (.022 uF) caps.
    both of those rolled fully back will present 44 nF of capacitance, which is just shy of the normal 47 nF caps that are in most V/V/T configurations

One of the pains with using concentric pots is the availability of linear ones, which I'm not sure is a thing, and especially no Linear & Audio taper in one pot.
    Some prefer Linear for the volume control, but if you're fine with Audio taper you should be able to find concentric pots easily.

It's snowing here, BTW, not something you'll see in Thailand.
    You can probably find whatever pots you need at Bahn Mor (บ้านหม้อ), if you're in Bangkok.

This is the Ban Mor (pronounced Bahn Mor) area:

upload_2017-12-9_8-48-4.

That's SaranRom Park in the top left.

Amorn is a shop that might have something, but I'm not sure what brands they carry.
    There are Amorn shops all over the country:

Amorn Electronics Center

add: brand does not matter for the caps, just make sure they're not polarized
    polarized ones will have little + & - marks on them & look like this:

electrolytic+capacitor_polarity_leads.
    non-polarized would be "mai mee kua"

thai-language.com - ขั้ว

but I don't know what the words for potentiometer or concentric are...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    mikewalker and Thaibassman like this.
  3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Different cap values give different tones, where generally larger caps cut more treble and mids. Most common values used on bass are .1 uF (deep dubby tone) to .022 uF (honky mids). Note that the most pronounced difference comes from turning the knob fully down (or simply using the cap without the tone pot) - if you just use the tone knob fully open or in the first half of the turn, the differences will be small. The exact sound you get depends on your pickups and other electronics, and we all hear differently anyway, so its best to experiment.

On a passive bass, two tone knobs will interact if both pickups are used (I believe you get some independence by turning the volumes down a hair to introduce series resistance, but I'm not sure how that would work with a blend/pan knob). If you use the two pickups by themselves a lot (e.g. P for Motown and J for Jaco), I'd suggest buying lots of caps (they're very cheap) some alligator leads and experimenting. Another option would be to simply wire in a cap selector switch.

Last, if you're just having some fun with trying new things, some rave about using a bass cut/cap in series on the bridge pickup. I believe Rickenbacker did that to some of their basses. This would thin out your J pickup so both pickups on full wouls have a fuller, less scooped sound. This may be more useful than two tone controls.

Thaibassman likes this.
  4. Unfortunately a bass cut knob isn't something you could do with a concentric pot, since they require a reverse log taper & are 1 MegOhm.

Thaibassman likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the thread title got my attention but i was expecting something different!

looks like Killed_by_Death has you covered! :thumbsup:

Thaibassman and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. Thaibassman

Jul 9, 2016
    Thailand
    Many thanks KBD
    That was a stellar response to my question - I have got it now!!:thumbsup:

The Charon Krung Rd district of Bkk is well known to me.
    It's a real pain in the arse to get to traffic wise and always total chaos.
    This precinct, that housed all the music related importers and retail shops (for well over 80 years), was demolished a year ago to make way for the underground railway and a new above ground development.
    All the major players with the good gear are now scattered from one end of BKK to the other.

The V+B // T// T configuration has always seemed to be the most useful set up to me - pity that in this day and age someone has not come up with a solution ?????

Again, sincere thanks for sharing your knowledge

7. You just described 75% of Groong Tehp, but I know what you mean.
    I got lost in that area once & was near to pulling my hair out by the time I found my way out.

8. Thaibassman

Jul 9, 2016
    Thailand
    That's why we live past Pattaya to avoid "most of the filth and chaos"

9. I lived in Banchang, Rayong most of my 15 years in the Land of Smiles.

This is the configuration I recommend:

View attachment 2838769

this^ is our own Ric5's setup

Volume/Treble cut X 2 + 3-way switch

You could alternatively do a Volume/Volume + Treble cut + Bass cut

10. Thaibassman

Jul 9, 2016
    Thailand
    Then you'd be no stranger to Bang Saray beach..... 30km on from Soi 6!!:bassist::bassist::bassist::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

11. Yeah, my friend David had a restaurant there, simply called the Bahng Saray Seafood Club.

The restaurant may still be there, but David has since passed away.

His main gal Friday came to work for my employer & she is gorgeous!

Oh, and The Six was my home away from home!

12. Thaibassman

Jul 9, 2016
    Thailand
    Not seen or heard of that one in the 10 + years we've been here
    Changed a lot just in the past 3 years with; a 30-floor condo now on the beach road and more planned; the Pattaya bypass freeway to Bangchang is well underway and Utapo is now an operating passenger airport
    It's rapidly becoming BKK's "weekender" for the well-heeled bringing the traffic chaos and agro with them

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. I'm sorry to mention this, but there's only one G in Banchang.
    It's a compound word & the first part is the same as "home" (pronounced Bahn).

I'll see if I can find David's seafood restaurant on a map, it's right near Sukhumvit.

nope, the restaurant is long gone, such a shame
    David was an accomplished pilot & had a thriving travel business.

I used to rent a condo in a building in Rayong city that was only half-full, because the BKK folks would come fill it up every weekend.

I knew two guys who helped build Utapao airport & one is still alive & working for my former employer.
    The other ran a bar in Banchang until his death.

14. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Pot configuration? I've always preferred it in a pipe.

rmayer, Element Zero and Thaibassman like this.
  15. Gormsgade

Gormsgade Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Denmark
    Cadfael's Collection of bass wiring diagrams

The most comprehensive collection of possible combinations. I have on of my jazz basses equiped with a 4 way
    rotary swith, which gives neck pu, both in parallel, bridge pu, and both in series. Combine that with a 3 band pre-amp with a build in frequency switch for middle, and you are literally covering all options in one bass.

Have fun!

Thomas

sikamikanico and Thaibassman like this.
  16. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Oh, sorry. I thought this was a thread about “edibles.” I like the Gummy Bear shapes.

17. Hmm, I was just noticing that diagram is not right, but I'm surprised that Seymour Duncan has this on their site & every person who used their diagram has two master volumes instead of independent volumes.
    To make it work correctly you'd have to swap the leads on the volume pots.
    Output of the pickup goes to the center lug as well as the wire from the treble cut (tone) pot.

I've tried finding the correct diagram, where my head wobbled even worse, because it seems to be the common way people are doing it :wideyed:
    Maybe I'm just too hungover to think straight, but I don't think so.
    Rickenbacker has it right for their 4003 series, but there's extra stuff in there that clutters it up, like the TRS output jack.

Duncan SRB In Rickenbacker 4003 Wiring Diagram - gooddy.org

This idea for wiring the capacitor is not a good practice either. Do that the same as in the first drawing.