Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pot luck?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, Mar 26, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I wired a bass passive with Bart M34C soaps with vol/tone control for each pup and triple throw switch that runs the inside coils of each pup, standard dual, and outside coils of each pup. Used a standard Les Paul wiring for the pots with capacitors running from center lug of tone pots to left leg of each respective volume pot. Not up on capacitors cause this is the first time I've installed any but the bridge pup capacitor has a 47 on it and the neck 104, which I assume is MFD and a reasonable spread.

However the tone controls are affecting both volumes and each other. So if you turn the volume of one pup off, you can use both tones to affect the tone of the pup that's on. Off the bat I thought, not good, not good. But it sure sounds like I'm getting a lot more than the usual variation in tone control, as if I'm getting the benefit of mixing two different capacitors. I haven't disconnected one of the tone controls to see if this is in my head or actually something that's beneficial.

Any clues?