pot problem....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    No, not that kind. I quit that years ago.

On my Warwick Corvette, the push-pull volume pot has freaked out. At zero it's loudest, 10 - about half way, and just cuts in and out as I turn it. My bass fixit guy says I need a new pot (but most likely a whole new board) from Warwick. I fear they're going to charge me an arm & leg, and they already told me the warranty was only for a year. The bass is about 3 yrs. old.

Anyone have this problem - AND - anyone know the best way to squeeze a free pot or board outta Warwick, as although the warranty is no longer any good, this was absolutely through no fault of my own.

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Joe, it sounds like the volume control has lost its ground.

A pot with a crack across the resistive element would act that way but that's rare. A pot with part of the carbon removed by using a solvent based cleaner will act sort of the same way.

I would suspect a bad pot if you've had problems with the pot prior to total failure. A pot that's going bad almost always gives some indication well before it just craps out.

The pot may be grounded at the outside leg of the pot that corresponds to the 0 setting Or grounded through a Wire that goes to the preamp board.

The preamp board is most likely where you will find the problem. Printed circuits are the best deal going but they all seem to have problems with solder joints.

Hope this helps, Pkr2