1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pot Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    No No No... not that kind of Pot:D

I was pulling the knobs of my Jazz Affinity V and the shaft for the bridge pickup pot just pulled right out with the knob. Now the bass is dead!!

I just got this bass back a couple weeks ago because of another wiring problem, but with the neck pickup.

Think I should just get it fixed under warrenty, or see if I can opt in a little extra cash for some CTS pots, or just return the bass for something else cause it is only 4 or 5 months old

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Just replace the pot, they're like $3.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Warrantees don't cover breaking something, only something that fails on its own. It you broke it, it isn't covered.

http://support.fender.com/warranty/..._ELECTRIC_INSTRUMENT_WARRANTY_9-2001_revC.pdf

Like mmbongo said, pots are cheap. Also I think you meant CTS pots.

4. No, I think he did mean CFS. His problem sounds more like a WebMD problem though. He has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from pulling his knob too often, and this time he went and broke it.

Sorry to hear that, bud! :p

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    :p

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Cute:D yes I ment CTS and I fixed my typo in the OP thanks

7. I came looking for that gag and was not disappointed. :D

8. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    UPDATE

I decided to replace all the pots with CTS pots and go with a Series Parallel push pull pot, so hopfully I won't have anymore problems and get better tone options:)

9. I had to revive this thread because the same exact thing happened to me! I was playing my son's Affinity J when I noticed the pots were loose. No problem, I'll just pull off the knobs and tighten the retaining nuts. Yep, the pot shafts came off along with the knobs! Talk about cheap!! I had to use a pair of vise grips to hold the shaft and a screwdriver to pry off the knob! On top of that, the control plate on his Affinity J has holes that are too undersized to use CTS pots, so I had to go to Guitar Electronics.com and buy some mini-pots with .250 dia. threaded shafts.

I know Affinities are supposed to be the "value line" of Squiers, but would it have really killed them to standardize everything on the Affinities??? :eyebrow:

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The better quality pots are more like $5.

11. I saw a brand new Gibson high dollar guitar do the same thing. It wasn't a value line Gibson either - pots fail and in this case the shaft coming out can be a problem on any pot.

12. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    It happened to my Squier Affinity Jazz IV, I just ended up changing all the pots with some nice Fender 500k models :D

13. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Sittin' In Limbo Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Marysville, CA
    This happened to the tone pot on my Gibson Ripper bass many years ago but the pot still worked. I could put a little screw driver in it to adjust it.

14. Pots - across the board --- are not exempt of this problem.

15. But did they fit in the standard Squier J control plate holes? I have some CTS pots lying around, and they wouldn't fit in the control plate holes, so I had to get a couple of mini-pots that would fit. I would have preferred using CTS pots, but I would have had to buy a new control plate.

16. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    Obviously, because then it wouldn't be a problem!:D

17. Perhaps, oh, I don't know ---- a drill?

18. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    Yup, they just dropped straight in the existing holes.

Why don't you get some CTS pots and drill out the existing holes an extra few mm? :eyebrow:

19. Well, first of all it's not my bass, it's my son's bass. Second, I'm what they call a "kitchen luthier", and I'm not really equipped to do this. Maybe if I knew someone with a drill press! :(

20. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I would just rest an ordinary hand drill in the hole power it up, nothing fancy is needed. The hole is already centered, it just would need to be enlarged. Takes about 5 seconds, if that. :D