Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    man these things are fun as all hell, but also dangerous as all hell. Since I've built mine I've sinched the left side of my head, and had to get stitches under my eye. Anyone else venture into this potato heavin' creation of man?
  2. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    no, but i once had directions for building a compressed air spud gun. never did it, because i couldnt find the electronic sprinkler valve that was used to open the air tank. it had a separate air chamber, that depending on the schedule pvc you used, could be charged to around 100psi, where as the typical hairspray guns are about 10-15. and you know how far those shoot. if you attempt one of these however, i really wouldnt recommend anything under sch80 for the tank. just to demonstrate why, i saw a video of guy with one of these...he had it suspended from his deck, by means of rope, and roughly 100 feet away, he had a large chunk of sidewalk concrete. he loaded the gun with a soup can of solid ice, and completely destroyed the concrete. the recoil on the gun was pretty wild too. in any case, you dont want pvc shards in your skin, so please be careful, even with the hairspray guns.
  3. I have one..they are great.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've built a few of both. The compressed air kind makes the hair spray kind look puny.

I've never had a problem with schedule 40 for the chamber or the barrel. I never use more than 55 or 60 # of pressure and get enough distance to send something like a spark plug (my favorite ammo) out of sight.

ALWAYS put something like the cut off leg of a pair of jeans over the chamber to contain the shrapnel should the chamber burst.

5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    My friends and I have made a few. FUN stuff, let me tell you. Of course the minute my friends dad told us not to launch the loading rod (AKA a broom handle), we did. :D
  6. I've built only the compressed air type...and i've used the hair spray kind...I think the air ones are MUCH better. The one I had worked real good, we just used a big chamber, went to a car shop and asked for a valve stem put that in, and used a ordinary PVC ball valve. They are dangerous and I learned that from experience. We built one and decided the 24 hour dry time for the glue was too long so an hour later we decided to use it. The parts burst apart and nearly took off my leg! So, the second one was designed better, painted better, and just worked better :p . Anyways, we sort of sharpened the top of it so we could shove apple in there really tight and cut the edges off so it'd fit just right. The last one we built was the greatest one ever. We shoot that one ordinarily at about 70 psi and when we want we put it outside of a small shed and hook up a gasoline compressor, and we step inside and we can turn it off from inside. We've gotten it up to 150 psi and then we let it sit for a while to be sure it won't burst, and then we sit the bottom on the ground and someone to hold it in place and another to turn the valve. We normally never end up finding those apples after that. Those things have a really cool blue muzzle flash at high psi's. We've also put rocksalt in there before and gone squirrel and bird hunting, and once my friend shot a car by accident with the rock salt (luckily at a fairly low psi) and there were paint chips and dents everywhere. Luckily the guy thought it was funny...must've been stoned :rolleyes: , because we were scared for our lives. Anyways this post is too long as it is, but have fun with them, but they are dangerous.

7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    air you say? ive heard things about air, but never actually looked at any directions. Would a car air pump be a possibility in any of these ideas? also, with the ball valve, do you turn it fast or slow. It's actually funny, we've only had about 2 potato launches, but they werent that great, maybe a hundred feet or so. what can i do to improve? ill show my design...
  8. fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    I got the one where you unscrew the sprikler thing at the bottom and spray the hairspray in i launch all sorts of things in that good all piece of pipe and spark plug.
  9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    that sounds intersting, but I dont understand this whole sprinkler thing, care to explain some 1? also how does the spark plug work. i find the gas grill ignitor insufficient, care to help on that as well.
  10. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    you people with your expensive complicated machines....

whatever happened to the danger? the randomness?

Pff's recipe for indoor potato fun.

1 glass spaghetti jar,
    1 large potato,
    1 can of hairspray,
    1 gas cooker.

• Place open ended spaghetti jar upright on hob.
    • Create puddle of hairspray in bottom of jar, you may use other flamable/combustive liquids like petrol/lighterfluid if you like. Make sure the puddle is about an inch deep.
    • Stuff potato tightly into jar as far down as possible, make sure it is large to create an airtight seal.
    • Light gass cooker.
    • After firing, clean up peices of your ceiling from floor.

If this isnt the desired effect, you can replace the spaghetti jar with a steel waste paper bin and the potato with a large turkey.

next post: Indoor fireworks, the cheap way.
    You will need a compact disc and a microwave.

11. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I got one, but it's the hair spray kind. Still has amazing power. I brought it to my high school and shot field goals from the other end zone.
    I also shoot it in the park a lot. Except last time I did that, two people were walking on a trail that my friend and I didn't see, and the potato went by them and scared them terribly.
  12. my uncle used to have one...good times, good times.

me and my friends plan on building one pretty soon....should consume a good weekend.
  13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    How come no one uses propane? it burns faster, hotter, and is less messy. All u do is take a blow torch, turn the dial, and put it in the hole. Make sure you don't light it while filling :rolleyes:
  14. My friend used to have the hair spray kind and yes, Dean_CustomJazz is right. Propane is the best. We put a spud through a car windshield at 40 yards.
    We used to bombard the neighborhood with that thing.
  15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    heres the deal, I hae numerous electric materials. I gut spark plugs, model train transformers (120volt)
    wires, switched, 9 volt batter saddles, and pretty much anything a typical garage would have.
  16. If spark is all you need then any piezo striker from say a gas grille would work well. This is also the same type of mechanism in one of the fireplace starters - the long kind with a gas lighter in them. My father even adapted one to act as the ignition on a black powder gun.

We did it a lot different when I was a kid. We would knock the bottoms and tops out of straight sided cans and tape them together with duct tape until we had a 3' long barrel. The next to last can would have the bottom in it but with a lot of triangular punched holes from a church key. The last can with a whole bottom and no top was added below the punched one. This last can had a hole large enough for the fuel to be dropped in and lit. We'd push a tennis ball down the barrel to to bottom of the chamber, drop a capful of alcohol in the fuel chamber and light away! We could send a tennis ball about 150 - 200 feet with a neat WHOOMPF! sound and plenty of fire.
  17. I built one last fall. That thing was SOOO freaking much fun! Of course, when I had all my friends over to see it (I'd been bragging about it for a few days) it didn't work.:mad: That was pretty embarassing. I still can't figure out why it won't work, seeing as how it's the simplest design imaginable.:confused:
  18. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Our first succesful launch occured today. We used aquanet hair spray, about 1 mins. worth. it went about 300 ft. Put that sucka on my shoulder, clicked the ignition, and KABAM! thing went flyin. on important detail for begginers:

the second time i did it, I forgot to glue the ignitor, and it went flyin out of my hands, it was pretty funny to see the ignitor go 30 feet in the air:eek:
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "To become old and wise, one must first be young and stupid."

Hope you guys make it. By the way, what ever happened to good ol' carbide cannons?