1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[Potencially dumb question] How can I "power Up" my old combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CamiloDíaz, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I've come, over the many years, to love the tone and character of my cheap and old Fender BXR. My only real drama is that it has not enough juice to medium sized venues, being only 100 watts. My question is simply this: Is there a way for me to power this thing up? Maybe hook it to a power amp? If so, is there a way to power it up and then drive through an external cabinet, but using the internal 115 8 ohms speaker? Am I trippin here? Note that I'm not looking for a cheapo way of getting more power, it's just that I love the sound and feel of this amp. So, anyone has any ideas of what could I do? :help:

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Get a bigger Fender amp.

3. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Buy a second one of the same model/type/etc... find a way to daisy chain 'em or run 'em in stereo from one bass.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You could use the preamp out to drive a second power amplifier, and use that to drive a second speaker cab of your choice.

5. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    no ,no no. get more of the same amps. why change anything? you will get the same sound LOUDER. IMAGINE IT. i bet 8 of those would toast an svt,lol. johnny a

6. Chef, thanks for your answer man. I will certainly try that.

7. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Holy crap I'm not alone!

I love my BXR 60. I've tried all sorts of amps...expensive amps... even got a Fender BXR 400. But I love that BXR 60 combo.

Here's what I've done.

BXR 60 's Preamp out into a QSC 1850HD power amp > Avatar 212 Neo.

Pluging a loose patch cord into the "poweramp in" will disable the bxr's speaker (if you want).

Attached Files:

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I like that. And it would look cool too.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021