1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potential Gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by clsmooth, Jan 26, 2012.

1. clsmooth

clsmooth

Aug 12, 2011
    So I am a life long (on and off for 15+ years) bedroom bassist that has mostly played along with songs I like on the computer (of all genres literally).

I took lessons when i was a teenager and was in band that played our junior high school talent show, but haven't done anything since then other than just learn songs by ear. I started taking lessons again about two years ago (one a month about) and have been learning the different arpeggiated outlines of chords and the ins and outs of the fretboard. I have also been learning notation in my spare time but haven't connected it fully to the fretboard yet.

I wouldn't say I am a great bass player, but can play along with most any song (Dream Theater, Billy Sheehan, and any slapping excluded, go figure) and have a pretty good sense of rhythm.

That being said, one of my friends (an established bass player) recommended me to one of his friend's band who's bass player is leaving. I agreed to play in a practice with them to see how we would fit, but am not confident in my abilities to play with other musicians whatsoever, especially an originals band as they are.

I know if they give me a set list and mp3's of the songs I can nail down the songs with some practice, but am extremely nervous about playing with other seasoned and established musicians.

I know any opportunity to play with others is a step towards improving one's own musical abilities and even if they don't think I am a good fit, it would just be great to play with others even once, but do you all have any recommendations prior to meeting and playing with them as to what I should do?

(I don't want to go in qualifying that I am not that great, etc. etc. so any advice would be helpful)

2. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    You sound more than qualified to me, except for the experience part which you'll never be able to bring to your first band; you'll have to get that by just doing it. So yeah, if you think you'd like playing with them, go for it, and just tell them the truth. You all can decide if you're right for each other.

But I would advise you to do some serious self-examination first; try to determine what it is you want out of joining a group. What are your goals and desires? You may be able to land this gig on your abilities, but what if their style of music or their gigging frequency or their long term goals or their musical abilities etc etc don't match you or what you want? Then you'll get disillusioned, put up threads about hating your band and how to go about quitting, then have to start over with a new group. Try to save yourself some trouble down the road and pre-qualify them before making a commitment.

But yes, definitely join a band. Now. You ain't gettin' no younger. :D

3. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    Go for it!!

What's the worst thing that could happen??

At the very least, you might expose some area of your playing that needs work. That can't be bad.

At the other end of the spectrum, you might join a band!!

4. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Do it. It's like running for President or anything. You can quit at any time if you don't dig it.