1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potential P-bass Project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blues_bassist, Apr 26, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have an oppertunity to purchase a '99 Fender MIM P-bass. It's not in mint condition and will need some minor cosmetic work. My question is how hard would it be to turn this '99 p-bass into a relic-looking p-bass? Does anyone have any advice or tips for this type of a project. Any products I should look at purchasing instead of Fender-issued products. I'll take all the input I can get.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    you probably don't want to hear my opinion of "Relicing"

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    beat it with a hammer.

4. Personally Ive never done a relic, but I would imagine it would be easier to do a good refinish than a good relic. Theres a lot more work that goes into it than hitting it for 10 minutes with a screwdriver. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, if you want to have a go at it then by all means. There was a great tutorial around here somewere in PDF, but I think it may have been removed on request of the author(ibanezcollector).

Do you really care if it has a few dings and scratches? If you do then dont buy the bass.

If you dont mind then buy it and play it...

5. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thats a good point.

6. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Yea, I like those people who don't flip over a scrath/dent. Some Times it helps, like i found this guitar in a shop that noraly sells at like $1,400 but it had the slightest ding ont the back and they were selling it for $1,000 band new.

7. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Poly finishes are supposedly harder to relic. That's true if you want it to look like a nitro finished bass (pre 68 Fenders, for example), but if you just want it to look like any beat up guitar, it's doable. There trick is to go lightly on poly finished instruments if you want something that looks credible.

Ibanezcollector has posted a FAQ on how to do a relic of a poly bass. I can pm it to you.

But really, are the cosmetic issue in need of fixing ? Poly is very tough to strip and refinishing a guitar is a project that can prove costly both in terms of time and money. If I were you, I'd jump on the deal and sit on it for a while. If after 3 months, the bass looks really still bother you, then go for either refin or relic. I'd go for a Nitro refin myself.

8. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I would pour acid on it

9. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Im not so worried about the dents in the finish. The pickgaurd is missing a piece and some of the chrome is a little rusty.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Slap a new pickguard and don't worry about the rust.

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've also got Ibanezcollector's pdf Relicing Tutorial. If you want it, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you...

12. Drag it behind your car down a gravel road. No one can tell a good relic job from a bad relic job.

13. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    just hang it from a set of street lights for a couple days, make sure its hanging out in the road, so all the cars hit it as they pass. you can relic their vehicles too while your at :D