Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Potential silly question - Can you change an cab's ohm rating?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Las Olas, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Is it possible to convert a 4ohm cab to an 8ohm cab?

If so, how?

Many thanks

Mike :)

2. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thank you for the link. So wiring in parallel could do it? Can anyone advise on the trickiness/potential problems of this?

Apologies for missing that sticky thread.

Regards

Mike

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Mike,

What's the configuration of your cab right now? How many drivers?

4. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Well, I'm using an 8ohm 1x15 with a 4ohm Hartke head - running at 290watts; not full power , obviously.

A really nice Ampeg 2x12 cab at 4ohms has come up for a great price near me. Now, I want an 8ohm cab so I can run the amp at full power - so the possibility of rewiring/whatevering the 4ohm cab to 8ohms would be really useful.

Regards

Mike

5. Passinwind

The odds are great that the Ampeg has two 8 ohm drivers currently in parallel. You could put them in series, giving you a 16 ohm cab, which won't help too much. :meh: If you try to swap in either 4 ohm or 16 ohm drivers, the Thiele-Small parameters will most likely be different then the current ones, and the sound quality is likely to be compromised. How about maybe losing the 15 and just going with that 2 X 12 though? :eyebrow:

6. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I see. Many thanks for your help. Yeah I might just do that - although after gigging a fair amount with just the 15", I was always cranking the amp super loud to get a decent onstage monitoring level. I thought having a 15" and 2x10/2x12 would be a really nice solution. However, saying that I could run the amp at full power with the 12s....but It wont be moving so much air..etc... I dont know. I'll have to hear it I guess. Info on the Ampeg SVR 212 is very hard to come across, sadly. A few harmony central reviews but that seems about it.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards

Mike

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    pass is pretty much giving you the right talk.
    you cant mod a 4 ohm cab to be 8 ohm, only 16 ohm
    unless you swap the drivers

8. Passinwind

Hope it works out, and you're welcome. :cool:

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Actually the other problem is that the 2x12 is an Ampeg SVR 212 (see my other thread currently at the top of the page) and that rather than being two 12s facing forward, one faces behind!

So probably not going to be beefy enough for my gigs! (funk/rock)

Regards

Mike