1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potentially a stupid question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Apr 18, 2006.

1. As regualr TBers may well now be aware, I need to get some decent gear together. I'm a few weeks away from dropping around £800 on a good five stringer (leaning very much in the Warwick direction at this point) but after that I'm going to need some solid amplification.

At the moment I'm using a Laney RBW 100. To be fair the sound is good, but there isn't too much of it. It's fine for practices, and the few venues where I can DI, but in a full gig setting it can get rather lost behind the guitar and drums.

So, I have a two part question (the first part of which is potentially stupid). I've an old Trace Elliot guitar combo sitting around. The head is, well, dead, but the cab is still fine. It has a single 10" speaker. If I spend all of my remaining cash on a head, can I run it through that (8 ohm) speaker? Will it just sound awful? Will it blow up?

Part two: Assuming that this is not a good idea (and I'm not saying that that is the case), can anyone recommend a head/cab package that I can get fo a total of £500-£600 and would be worth spending the money on?

Cheers all

2. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Hmmmm. . .That works out to about $1050 USD, right? I just bought a Carvin B800 head and an Aguilar S410 cab (on closeout) for a grand total of $905, and I love it. You might want to consider researching them and finding out how well they would fit your sound and style. Although I'm wondering if you would maybe want to consider springing for the B1900 instead of the B800. That would run you about $1075 if you were in the US, but I'm not sure how bad the shipping would bite you. It would DEFINITELY be plenty of power for pretty much any situation.
    By the way, I would forget the idea of using any guitar equipment for bass right now. At best, you'll get pretty bad tone, and at worst, you'll blow stuff up.

3. Ahhh, if only it were so. Given the inflation of prices on this side of the pond, my £500-£600 will get you what $800 will in the US. I get what you're saying about the giutar amp though. I didn't really think it would work.

Suggestions from others would be very welcome

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'd see what you can get on the used market, as you'll save some major bucks and still have a chance to play around with configurations until you've found something that suits your power, volume and weight needs. Better to go with 2 small cabs than 1 bigger cab in my opinion. Modularity is your friend!

Also, I would stay away from putting any bass through a guitar cab - hit a couple high volume low notes and it's sayonara speaker!

Lonnybass

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Used, look for Peavey and Ashdown.

New, look at more Laney (sounds like you want to move though) Warwick (I dont like them, you might!) and, well, Ashdown.

Id certainly look used, that way if you dont like it, you can sell it and lose very little money (hopefully) if it doesnt work out.

Oh, stay away from Behringer. Kitties will die.

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    [​IMG]

Not directed at you, of course. I couldn't help it because of your subject heading. :D

7. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    +1 to those who suggested used gear. I got my rig for about $900 and it kills (Eden WT-400 and SWR Henry the 8x8). you could also go used on your bass and have some more money left over for your amp rig, it's at least worth looking. I have 2 used basses (warwicks btw) and 1 new one. the used ones are way better, AND cheeper.