1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potentially future 1969 Pbass. Help me date some components and the aftermarket bridge Pup!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAFbass1992, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    So I stumbled across this nice 69p in the local classifieds. The price is ridiculusly low and I've been the first person to write to the guy. So I call him to set a meeting and ask a couple of questions. The bass is all original except for:

- No OHSC
    - He doesn't have to tugbar and the pickup covers
    - There's a bridge pickup.

The seller told me that the previous owner was his friend, a local musician who died. So he bought the bass and kept it for 20 years and now he wants to get rid of it. The original owner installed the single coil pickup. The seller only told me that it was a bartolini ''red'' pickup... If anyone has a deep knowledge about Barts pickup in the 80'/90's and explain to me why it could be red? I'm guessing since the bass was in storage for a long time, the nitro finish could have reacted?

So I'm sharing with you a couple of pictures, tell me if you see anything suspicious! I did some research (read: I spent all day on talkbass yesterday). The neck seems to have the old notation system (yay!) and from the backplate, the body seems to be from 1968.

During the meeting I'll check if the pots match, but I must say that it looks like a potential bass for me. And... he told me the bass weights 8.5 lbs!

Attached Files:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. FenderOli

FenderOli

Jun 6, 2014
    Germany
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    REMBO likes this.
  3. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Would you say it's transitional during these years for those different neck fabrications? I just spent 10 minutes doing research about round vs slab necks and they seem to have both their ups and downs!

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    This bass should not have a slab fretboard at all. that ended during 62. The tuners and the string tree are correct.
    But I have seen some tech wizards install replacement fretboards, and I bet that's what happened with this.

Amano and REMBO like this.
  5. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    I feel like I'm gonna spend the rest of my afternoon on talkbass... I just did an extensive search of slab fingerboards on google, reverb etc and indeed, never seen one. The fret dots on the 12th fret also seem a bit off, maybe it's just the photo quality.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    the 12th fret dots are definitely spread really far out

Amano and Pbassmanca like this.
  7. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Those stock 69' split coil pickups though....:smug:

markjazzbassist likes this.
  8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Definitely replaced fingerboard. Flatter than normal radius too. And THICK. The bridge saddles don't appear to be jacked all the way up to compensate, so I have to wonder if they deepened the neck pocket. If so, a stock neck replacement is a no-go without a 1/4" thick full-pocket shim. Weird.

REMBO and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Authenticate, authenticate, authenticate!!! Feel no shame at insisting that every detail be inspected and confirmed so that the true nature of the instrument is known before paying the asking price. If something is suspect, then walk away. It's better to have no vintage Fender than a fake one, or a partial fake one!

Miker27607 and joeypee like this.
  10. The body looks great (legit or otherwise!) but that neck seems real phoney- the headstock is so clean even if it has been locked up for years. The bridge piece looks aged but the tuners are spotless. The FB looks dodgy as well as per other comments.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I know a guy with a '65 P pickup he just ripped out of a refinished oly white P bass. Want to trade? :laugh:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Yeah, it's gonna be a no-no for me after all, but today I learned about fingerboards!

pjbassist and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Do your homework. If you decide to take it, dump both pickups for a Bill Lawrence J45 and P46 set.

MAFbass1992 likes this.
  14. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    That was the initial plan, dump the pickups for something nice, but what about the fretboard? :p

Pops OB likes this.
  15. You didn't say, but I'm supposing it's priced like an average, old guitar. If so, buy it as a player if you like it, and do what you want with it. Remember, back then, Precision basses were routinely hot-rodded as they were common, not really special to most guys, and adding a Jazz pickup was the ticket back then, still is for some today.

This is a different situation than if it were a real, been under the bed for 30 years, all original vintage axe, which would of course come with a nosebleed asking price. Which would be justified if all the 'screw counters' and serious homework agree that it is indeed an all-original, untouched piece.

As always, there's a big difference between 'old' and true 'vintage'. If it was me, if it's solid, warts and all, and I liked it, I'd buy it. Maybe you can't re-sell it and take the proceeds to get a new Benz, but believe me, those 'lotto' guitars are hard to come by for most of us.

Aqualung60, TomB and Pops OB like this.
  16. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    That red Jazz pickup is likely a Seymour Duncan, rather than a Bartolini. Cliff Burton used one in his Rick, so you could sell the pickup to some purist Cliff fan!

17. I need a picture of the back of the headstock, with the A-tuner removed. As things are standing now, the fretboard (shape, the spacing of the 12th fret dots, the material) does not add up, but the headstock does. Maybe someone planed the neck, and added a new fretboard to it.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Does it matter that 01/05/1969 is a Sunday?

pjbassist likes this.
  19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

If it's a good price and it sounds and plays good, grab it before someone else does!

20. FenderOli

FenderOli

Jun 6, 2014
    Germany
    5 is only the identification for Precision, 7 for Jazz.

RichSnyder, pjbassist and Aqualung60 like this.