1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Potentiometers: 500k or 250k?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bo_H, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    I would like to know the effect each one will have on the tone of the bass. I will be using a .047mf capacitor for two passive pickups. Basically the wiring will be like a Jazz bass--two volume/1 tone knob.

Oh yes, the bass has four holes and I don't want a pickup selector switch. Any suggestions on an attractive alternative for plugging the fourth hole?

:help:

Thank you.

BB5

2. I've got no answer for the pot values, but the best things I can think of for plugging that hole are either a second tone knob, so you would have volume and tone for each pickup, or a series/parallel switch for the two pickups, or my personal favorite, a switch to change between two different capacitors, like your .47 and maybe a monsterous 1.0 or something. Once you roll off all the treble of a 1.0mfd cap can, everything you play will sound like reggae/dub. Its pretty cool.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    500K pots will give some more highes. There not the most behaved of highes because it is actually a resonance that spikes higher with 500Ks than it does with 250Ks.

Dave

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I prefer 250k pots myself. Less unattractive (to me) treble.

Options for the fourth knob:
    I like having a tone control for each pick-up. So vol/vol/tone/tone would work
    Dummy knob - nothing
    Series/Parallel Switch

With four knobs, doing my own wiring, I would (if applicable):
    Neck vol/neck tone (stacked)
    Bridge vol/bridge tone (stacked)
    Series/Parallel neck position
    Series/Parallel bridge position

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I would say, since your using passive pickups, go 250k.

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    You could put a tone bypass in the extra hole...I have one imn my fretted jazz...works pretty good. I'm sure someone on here could explain it better than I, but it basically takes the tone knob completely out of the circuit...

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    A dummy "Mojo" knob! Always handy if someone complains about your tone/volume. Simply turn it when they complain, and 9/10 times they'll say, "that's better."

I'd do it.

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You could do that, or you could mod your tone pot and make it a "no-load tone" pot. I have no experience with this, but I'm going to give it a try.

9. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    when you guys say more treble. Would that also mean more finger noise and stuff of that nature?

10. djcorn

djcorn

Apr 20, 2006
    Atlanta GA
    Go to a electronic parts shop and buy a real interesting looking switch to put in that hole. Make up something esoteric to BS other bass players with.

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

man, ive GOT to try that

12. im a fine of the tone bypass switch idea. Stick in a switch that allows you to run straight from your vol. to output, and dont pass it through that extra pot + cap.

13. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    In theory, the higher resistance, the better. Apparently, this isn't always the case in practice.

For the extra hole:
    series/parallel switch
    or a phase switch :bag:

I also like the idea of two tone knobs.

14. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Get a covered toggle switch, like the kind they use to launch missiles. The jokes and puns practically make themselves.

15. lpjiang

lpjiang Finally a Roscoehead

Jul 15, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Usually I'll put on a cute sticker to cover the hole, but maybe the "Mojo" knob works more. :)

16. Makalu

Makalu

Jul 24, 2006
    I have just recently fitted a pair of custom wound BareKnuckle Jazz pups and 500k pots to my jazz bass. I play in a LOUD vintage rock covers band and wanted something a little hotter than the standard pups and with slightly more cut on the highs. This mix works great. I also retro fitted a Badass II and a Hipshot D-Tuner while I had the screwdriver to hand... My otherwise standard Mex Jazz is now a hugely versatile tone beast.

Mak.