Potentiometers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Harrison, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Scott Harrison

Scott Harrison

Aug 23, 2020
    Are there only Volume and tone potentiometers I have three on my bass and I want to make sure before I buy them

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    This seems a bit vague. Why do you have to buy potentiometers? Is your bass missing them?

Either way, there are quite a few variations. They can be "linear taper" or "logarithmic taper", or even "audio taper", and then there is the issue of resistance. 250 kOhm or 500 kOhm seems to be most common in passive instruments. With active instruments all bets are off, but anything from 10 kOhm and up has been observed in the wild.

RSBBass and Lobster11 like this.
  3. Scott Harrison

Scott Harrison

Aug 23, 2020
    Hi. I’m getting new pots cos I’m rebuilding an old bass a a project but have never done it before. Most videos I watch seem to start off at a point when you should prolly already know what your working with. Which obviously I don’t lol. The only things I am sure of is I would get 500k and need a tone and volume knob. I believe the volume knob is self explanatory and the tone controls overall “sound” meaning treble and bass kinda. But then I have one note knob to get. And instruction would be helpful I am completely new to this

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    You would do better posting on the Pickups and Electronics section of the forum. In short, the kind of pot that will work best depends on the kind of pickup(s) you are using. For passive basses, almost all use logarithmic (also called audio taper) pots. I would not suggest you try and rebuild an active circuit without learning a lot more.

5. Scott Harrison

Scott Harrison

Aug 23, 2020
    Thx a lot appreciate it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021