1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pots & cap question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aquateen, Sep 12, 2005.

1. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    ok, I'm rewiring a single pickup bass (epi rivoli) and I'm wondering what difference in tone can I expect by switching my tone pot from 250k to 500k? also, what will be the difference using a .047 cap or a .1 cap? answers in plain english are very much appreciated.

if this needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum, that's cool.

thanks in advance!

2. the combination of a 250k pot with a 0.047 cap will tend to make the bass sound a bit "darker" than say a 500k 0.1 cap / combination.

the pot and the cap form an RC filter (in a low-pass configuration)...for more about RC filters check this out...
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/filcap.html

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Not quite an RC lowpass, the pot along with the cap form a variable Q (and to a lesser extant variable frequency) resonant circuit with you pickups.

Aquateen, I hate to say this but, do a search, there has been a lot of discussion on this subject recently. Search this forum and the luthiers forum.

4. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

I actually did several searches, Tim, but the threads didn't really answer my questions. there is some related info of course, but in the end, I thought I'd just fire away and ask. mods, feel free to delete this thread if it's redundant.
    :bag: