pots & cap question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aquateen, Sep 12, 2005.

1. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    ok, I'm rewiring a single pickup bass (epi rivoli) and I'm wondering what difference in tone can I expect by switching my tone pot from 250k to 500k? also, what will be the difference using a .047 cap or a .1 cap? answers in plain english are very much appreciated.

if this needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum, that's cool.

thanks in advance!
  2. the combination of a 250k pot with a 0.047 cap will tend to make the bass sound a bit "darker" than say a 500k 0.1 cap / combination.

the pot and the cap form an RC filter (in a low-pass configuration)...for more about RC filters check this out...
  3. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Not quite an RC lowpass, the pot along with the cap form a variable Q (and to a lesser extant variable frequency) resonant circuit with you pickups.

Aquateen, I hate to say this but, do a search, there has been a lot of discussion on this subject recently. Search this forum and the luthiers forum.
  4. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

I actually did several searches, Tim, but the threads didn't really answer my questions. there is some related info of course, but in the end, I thought I'd just fire away and ask. mods, feel free to delete this thread if it's redundant.